cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting errors when editing my files on my computer and they become 0 bytes. Any thoughts?

I'm getting errors when editing my files on my computer and they become 0 bytes. Any thoughts?

narbz83
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm seeking assistance on how to recover my files in Dropbox.
When I editing my files, suddenly error message saying that someone is accessing my file and couldn't be saved. Then i saved a copy on the same folder in Dropbox. Again a lot of error message appears, couldn't save, couldn't upload and so on.
I exit the application and sign in. Only then i realized that my files size that i edited before become 0 bytes and i couldn't open it.
Anybody could assist what to do next as i lost all the information for July works...

3 Replies 3

Re: Files corrupted @ missing

Not applicable

Hello @narbz83 

I suggest that you immediately change your password as a precaution. Someone may have hacked into your account and is trying to steal your information. I also recommend that you make sure your files weren't shared with anyone that you didn't approve by checking the visibility of the documents uploaded (go to https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/paper/sharing-permissions for a guide on how to do so). When you have finished the above steps, "rewind" your Dropbox Account so you can recover the non-corrupt/original files that were on your account (go to: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/rewind to figure out how to rewind your Dropbox Account). I hope this helps!

narbz83
New member | Level 2
Thank you for your advice..
At the moment i pretty sure that at this moment nobody is trying to hack my account or files. The other files remains ok.. only the files that I'm working on and sync at that time.
By the way, I'm using the free version, so i assume I can't rewind changes right?

Not applicable

Hello @narbz83

Maybe there is malware on your computer that caused the files to go corrput? Sometimes ransomware/malware can corrput your Dropbox Files if they are on your computer. You can install a malware remover on your computer/device to remove them to potentially prevent further incidents. 

If you have the free verison of Dropbox you cannot use the rewind feature. But with that said sometimes Dropbox Support can manually preform a Dropbox Rewind on a free account. I recommend that you go to https://www.dropbox.com/support to view your support options and contact support so they can preform the rewind. Also if you upgrade to Dropbox Plus or above you can preform the Dropbox Rewind feature without having to contact support, as long as the files in question are located within your version history window. Also, If you happen to have the original files before they turned corrupt is it possible that you can re-upload them again to your account? I hope this helps!

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?