Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm having a BSOD on WIN 10 Dell. Any ideas?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

1.- When I hit sync on dropbox after a pause commonly I get a BSOD, sometimes I get  a system o memory error.

2.- Dropbox app and it services are using 25% memory of my 12gb ram

Using high resourse demanding apps like Cinema 4D o a Game togheter with dropbox syncing aldo cause BSOD.

Is like fight for resourses, I can hear the sound card freezing once in a while before the BSOD.

3.- I am also getting lots of corrupted files on the dropbox folders if I render images directly to dropbox folder while the sync is on.

Any advice?

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: BSOD on WIN 10 Dell

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @av3d - welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear your computer is experiencing high CPU usage, and apologies if this sounds obvious, but can you restart your computer and let me know if you still notice the same behavior?

In case you do, you might need to re-install our app on your machine to tackle this hiccup. 

Let me know how this goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

Not high CPU usage but high memory usage in my opinion for a background app. And yes still happening after reboot.

I ran mem86 test, leave for 3 full pases and no error. Then I ran the seagate tools, it found some errors and fixed, but still happening, so I ran the seagate tools 2 times, no errors. Then I decided to fomat and reinstall windows, still happening. Very few things missing to check like removing the video card, but no BSOD was ever related to the video drivers.

My dropbox is sharing +90k files with a customer, but this time I am using the online option only. Since dropbox is now sync I have not got any BSOD so far, still testing.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your updates @av3d!

I'm glad to hear that seems to be resolved now, but if you see it happening again, please let me know and I'll reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to have a further look at your device's logs.

Have a lovely week in the meantime! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

BSoD on windows 10 - any solution?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi All,

it seems that I am one of the many that experience this problem of BSoD on windows 10. I am not using Symantec Endpoint Security but my Dropbox still crashes when starting to sync. I use both Onedrive and dropbox - all seems fine but when I start the dropbox sync it will produce the BSoD - has any solution be found? I would dearly love to continue using dropbox ...!

BusyBeeChris

Highlighted

Re: BSoD on windows 10 - any solution?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @busybeeChris; thanks for joining our discussion here and sorry to hear you're also hitting a BSoD on your Windows 10 machine. 

Can you please let me know if you've installed the desktop app with admin rights on the affected computer?

Also, do you have any antivirus or firewall setting that could be interfering with the desktop application? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am also running a corporate-managed Windows 10 laptop (Dell Precision 5530) that is BSOD'ing when Dropbox starts to sync. It worked fine until an update was installed last Friday. The only way I could even get the laptop to work was to disable Dropbox in the Startup Apps settings window. Just now I tried uninstalling Dropbox and re-installing but it still BSOD'd when it got to the syncing part. I have also tried running the Dropbox app as Administrator but that did not solve the problem. Since the laptop is managed by corporate it does have a number of security applications running including Symantec Endpoint Protection and Forcepoint One Endpoint. Hoping you can get to a solution soon as this is quite annoying.

Collaborator | Level 10

I would suggest the network drivers be updated to the latest possible for the device.

The BSOD is normally a hardware issue, mostly seen with the LAN card in connection to dropbox as that is the device DB makes most use of.

Of course it could be faulty ram as it and everything else uses that, but if it only crashes during DB use, I would look to LAN drivers.

* BSOD tell you some info you should record it for help diagnosing *

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?