cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having an issue uninstalling the desktop app

I'm having an issue uninstalling the desktop app

TJB57
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

Running WIndows 10 Enterprise.

I had a problem that Dropbox was no longer synching but was running. I tries to de-install and re-install but this was not successful. I searched the forums for help but noting worked. I have the Dropbox service running after I de-installed the product and I can stop this service from task manager. But, I stall have the Dropbox folder in programs with a file called DropboxExt64.37.0.dll and I cannot delete because it is "in use".

I would like help to get this taken care of please so I can re-install Dropbox and start to use the prgram again.

Thanks,

Tim.

7 Replies 7

Re: I'm having an issue uninstalling the desktop app

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @TJB57, thanks for messaging today!

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TJB57
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

I am on a basic plan at the moment.

Any other ideas? I am thinking it may be a registry problem?

Thanks,

Tim.

Jay
Dropboxer

If you have less than 3 devices connected, try the advanced reinstall, and let me know if the issue persists on your device!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

daniel_garbin
New member | Level 2

Hello Jay. 

I've the same problem reported by Tim. I can't uninstall because it says that the program dropbox x64.37.0.dll is in use by Windows Explorer, but actually it isn't. I tried the advanced reinstall and it does the same thing when I try to delete Dropbox from c:\program files (x86). Can you give me some tips please?

Thank you. 

Daniel 

TJB57
Explorer | Level 4

I have tried all of the suggestions from support and noting works. Dropbox works fine on my personal laptop running Windows 10 Pro but my work laptop runs Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB so it's an older version of Windows. It seems that since the last update was rolled out, it no longer works.

The only way I can get Dropbox to install is as follows: Boot in Safe Mode, install an older version 87.4.138 and now it works and synchronises, I just keep getting reminded to upgrade, which I do not. So, I hope you guys can come up with a fix in a new version soon.

Jay
Dropboxer

Since you're running an Enterprise installation of Windows, this should be a work device since it isn't available for personal users.

Is there any IT admin that can check if there's any security software or other restrictions that could prevent the app from being uninstalled?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

daniel_garbin
New member | Level 2

Mine just began to function after my last installation. I did the same way last time, but it worked. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

daniel_garbin New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
    TJB57 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?