cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having issues with my desktop app connecting and syncing to my account

I'm having issues with my desktop app connecting and syncing to my account

Regular Joe
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

So I accepted to use the new Dropbox Spaces software (in 1 of my 4 devices) and ever since my Dropbox account in that computer stopped synchronizing my files. I kept on working on that computer, for 3 or 4 weeks, assuming at some point Dropbox would sync my files again. But it didn't. I turned off my computer several times but it kept stalled. In the communication of problems sections or something by those lines, I got no mesage of any problem. So I uninstalled Dropbox (by then I didn't even know that I had the Dropbox Spaces software on). I reinstalled the software (Dropbox Spaces, I guess, the file was in my computer already). And still Dropbox do not sync. But when I opened it for the first time, Dropbox finally lets me know that it cannot connect to the internet (so finally I got to know it was an internet problem). After some research, I realized I needed to check my home internet properties.  I didn't know it was set as public, so I changed them to a private network. But Dropbox still does not work. So I read this post about firewalls and configuring them and that stuff. 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/configuring-firewall 

However, I am no expert on such things, and do not want to keep on messing my PC set up. So that's why I need some help. Can I go back to a previous Dropbox version? (my life was happier, i didnt need to know what was a firewall, my home wifi was set as public and Dropbox worked fine and ran smoothly, and the most important thing: my files sync'ed automatically). By the way, the practical problem that I also have to solve now is how the 50 or so files that I edited throughout these 4 weeks of using Dropbox Spaces in this computer, how can I be sure or confirm that they will be updated in my other 3 computers using dropbox (running the old version). I don't really know which files were edited, because I did not think I should keep track of that. But all in all, that is my main priority, to retain the updated versions of those files (I fear there will be some sort of conflict between the files of my other computers and these files that were not updated, but are no longer connected to a Dropbox account (because I cannot connect my dropbox in this computer to the internet). So that's why I guess, first, I need my Dropbox to connect (break the firewall?) to the internet? 

Or is it just easier to configure my firewall? I just cannot seem to comply with this, apparently straightforward instruction from the Dropbox help website:

"Allow Dropbox access to ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) The Open button requires access to ports 17600 and 17603. The LAN Sync feature requires access to port 17500 (recommended). Add dropbox.com to the list of approved websites for your firewall, and make sure that it isn't blacklisted."

Sorry for the novel. But I am no programmer. Just a regular Joe in the tropic. BTW I am sorry for any mistake here, English is not my first tongue.

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox Spaces, firewalls and internet problems

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Regular Joe, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

I'll just need a bit more information to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• What is the exact error message that you're getting? 
  • What do you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer's clock? 
  • Have you tried rebooting your computer?

Also, if you want to have some peace of mind before we move forward with any troubleshooting, I'd recommend copying all the files in your Dropbox folder to another folder on your hard drive. 

Let me know what you find, thanks!

PS. Do not worry about the length of you post. The more information, the better. :wink:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Regular Joe
Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Lusil 

• I do not get any error message or notification from Dropbox. The only time I did was when I uninstalled and reinstalled the dropbox software from my computer. I do not remember exactly but it was something like you are connected to the internet (but I am).
  • What do you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer's clock? Just the Dropbox icon with no colors or additional marks on it. When I place the mouse on top of it, it says "connecting"...
  • Have you tried rebooting your computer? A few times.

As an additional fact, my other computer (laptop) was working with dropbox just fine, but yesterday evening I was instructed by university library to change my proxy settings so as tu use the library online. I remember I alsos did that to my PC desktop a few weeks ago and dropbox around that time stopped sync'ing. 

Thanks for any orientation!

Regular Joe
Explorer | Level 3

I meant to say: something like you are NOT connected to the internet (but I am).

Regular Joe
Explorer | Level 3

The mouse on top of the dropbox icon by the computers clock also says Dropbox 106.4.368

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Regular Joe; how are you today?

Could you update the app's version to the latest one (v. 107.4.443 just rolled out) and let us know if you still have issues with this?

In case you do, please make sure that there's no antivirusfirewall or even a VPN/proxy setting that could be preventing the app from connecting to the internet. 

Keep us posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Regular Joe Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?