cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having trouble exporting my files and folders from the Dropbox mobile app

I'm having trouble exporting my files and folders from the Dropbox mobile app

havocentral
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have always been able to select a folder or file and save/export it to my tablet.

Now when I select a folder the save to device button is grey and cant be selected, and when I select a file, it takes me to an empty storage folder, cant find my sdcard, and the save button is greyed out. I am at my wits end and it is very frustrating to lose such a basic feature for seemingly no reason.

anyone have any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Although you are able to download folders from the Dropbox website, as well as having them on the Dropbox desktop app, exporting folders via the Dropbox mobile app is not currently available. I do understand your thoughts on this though and I've made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team for review. 

As mentioned before, one option is to make files offline but if that's not a preferred option for you, I'd recommend exporting them by multiply selecting your files instead of individually. In that case, you can give the following a try and see if it helps:
  1. Locate the files you want to export. 
  2. Tap on the checkbox that's next to the vertical ellipsis on the top right corner of your screen. 
  3. Select the files you want to export by tapping on the boxes that appear next to the relevant files.
  4. Tap on the vertical ellipsis on the top right corner and select Save to device.
  5. Find the folder you want to add them to or create it and choose Export. 
I hope this helped! Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. :innocent:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @havocentral!

Indeed, you are able to export a file to your SD card from the Dropbox mobile app. However, please keep in mind that although you’re not able to export a whole folder, you are able to save folder for offline viewing on your mobile device

As per your concern for exporting a file, could you please try the following and let me know if you’re able to see the SD card then: 
  1. Find the file you want to export and select the vertical ellipsis (⋮) that’s next to the file.
  2. Tap on Export.
  3. Choose Save to device.
  4. Swipe the menu bar to the left so as to make it disappear and then tap on the ellipsis (…) on the top right-hand corner of your screen. 
  5. Choose Show SD card.
  6. Swipe to the right or tap on the three lines that are on the top left-hand side to make the menu bar appear again, and it should now show your SD card’s content and Internal storage as an option.
If this doesn’t do the trick for you, could you please send me a screenshot of the grayed out option along with any error message that you may be seeing (omitting any personal info)?

Thanks in advance! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

havocentral
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
That worked for indivdual Files, But I was previously able to export folders. It is rather a pain to export 372 files individually. I cannot simple do offline because I need the files for an app that has no access to dropbox

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Although you are able to download folders from the Dropbox website, as well as having them on the Dropbox desktop app, exporting folders via the Dropbox mobile app is not currently available. I do understand your thoughts on this though and I've made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team for review. 

As mentioned before, one option is to make files offline but if that's not a preferred option for you, I'd recommend exporting them by multiply selecting your files instead of individually. In that case, you can give the following a try and see if it helps:
  1. Locate the files you want to export. 
  2. Tap on the checkbox that's next to the vertical ellipsis on the top right corner of your screen. 
  3. Select the files you want to export by tapping on the boxes that appear next to the relevant files.
  4. Tap on the vertical ellipsis on the top right corner and select Save to device.
  5. Find the folder you want to add them to or create it and choose Export. 
I hope this helped! Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. :innocent:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

arnulfo_rios
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Maybe you can compress the folder to a zip file and later decompress again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

arnulfo_rios New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    havocentral Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?