cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having trouble opening Google Sheets in Dropbox, any help?

I'm having trouble opening Google Sheets in Dropbox, any help?

AmeliaBarnfield
Explorer | Level 3

We have Google sheet files in our Dropbox that appear as actual files (filename.gsheet) but now our GSuite subscription has been cancelled these files no longer open.

Are they just shortcuts to files stored on GoogleDrive?

5 Replies 5

Re: Google sheets on Dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @AmeliaBarnfield, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Could you clarify for me what issue you're running into when trying to open the files in Dropbox? Since you mentioned that your GSuite subscription ended, it suggests that your Dropbox has a Business subscription.

To use the Google integration within Dropbox, it's required for you to have a GSuite subscription as mentioned here.

These files reside in your Dropbox account, and your Google account is needed just to allow you to be able to edit the files through the integration.

Let me know if this info helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AmeliaBarnfield
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne - the issue I have is that we cancelled the GSuite subscription and now the files in Dropbox will no longer open (they take us to a Google logon - when I login it says the accoutn is suspended).

How do I break the link between GSuite and Dropbox so I can just access my files in Dropbox again?

Many thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @AmeliaBarnfield.

To open the Google sheets from Dropbox, you need to have a connected Google account as Dropbox can't be used to open and edit these files, only preview them.

Due to this, you'll need a connected Google account and Google requires you to have a GSuite account since you also have a Dropbox Business subscription.

If you no longer plan to use GSuite, then I'd have to suggest converting the gsheet files in your account to another format, perhaps Excel .xlsx files, so that you can instead use the Microsoft integration to edit the files online or locally.

However, please bear in mind that Microsoft also requires you to have an Office license too for the online integration with a Dropbox Business account. You can check out more info on this here.

I hope this helps clarify the matter!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AmeliaBarnfield
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again Daphne - so am I correct in saying that the files in Dropbox are not files at all but are shortcuts to files that exist on Google Drive?

AmeliaBarnfield
Explorer | Level 3

In case anyone else is searching for clarification, the files in Dropbox *are* the actual files, but if you have this Google integration they will only open up if the linked account is still a valid GSuite account. 

I had cancelled my GSuite account, and this made the files in Dropbox inaccessible.

Google fixed this for me by making my cancelled GSuite account a 14 day free trial account - I was immediately able to open the files on Dropbox then, at which point I exported to .xlsx and saved locally 🙂

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?