cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having trouble with opening MS Office files on my Edge browser

I'm having trouble with opening MS Office files on my Edge browser

Vladimir7
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

is there some problem in the dropbox integrations when using the new Microsoft Edge browser? I have a dropbox for business account and an Office365 business account. I usually browse documents on dropbox on the web and from there I am able to open them in word online, word on my computer or in file explorer. All this works perfectly when I browse with Chrome. Ironically, if I use the new Microsoft Edge, i completely miss the options open in word and open in file explorer. I only have the option open in word online but if I select I end up in a loop where the page continuously reloads and I can't open the file. I would really prefer to use edge instead of chrome. Is there a solution for this?

Thank you,

Vladimir

13 Replies 13

Re: Dropbox integrations in edge

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Vladimir7, thanks for checking in with us. 

Out of cusiority, have you also tried clearing the cache and making sure that you're not running any third party browser extensions or plugins? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vladimir7
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I tried everything. No extension, reset browser, clean cache. I managed to make word online work by disabling tracking prevention.

However I still don't see the options open in word and open in file explorer. The latter is particularly important for my workflow.

I think the problem is flash related. I tried to enable flash in edge but the only way to enable flash (unless there is some console workaround) is that a site asks to use it and I don't get the popup when I browse the dropbox website. 

Any suggestions are welcome.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking all that out for me, @Vladimir7 - awesome work!

I'd be more than happy to send you a ticket so that we can have a more in-depth look into this. 

Before I do, could you just confirm for me if your browser is up to date? 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vladimir7
Explorer | Level 3

I am using the latest release version of the browser. I also tried on the beta version and exactly the same happens.

Today I also tried on my mac and I find exactly the same situation:

Chrome: everything works perfectly

Chromium Edge: I cannot open in finder nor in word/excel/powerpoint

Safari: I cannot open in finder nor in word/excel/powerpoint

It really looks this essential feature works only in chrome for me, which I don't like to use.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that for me, @Vladimir7

I've sent you a ticket, so when you have the chance, check it out from your inbox. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

gsb8675
New member | Level 2

What was the resolution for this issue? I'm having the same problem. In the Chromium-based Edge browser (Build 80.0.361.109), options to open a file in File Explorer or - for example - open a PPT file using my locally installed PowerPoint are not found in the Open dropdown menu. If I use Chrome, everything works as expected.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @gsb8675, thanks for nudging us on this thread!

Currently, the Dropbox website works best on the two most recent versions of these browsers

Out of curiosity though, could you please check if you get the same result in your preferred browser when you clear the cache, or when you're not running any third browser extensions?

Let me know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

VenkySr
Explorer | Level 3

Has this issue been resolved? I am running an up to date version of Microsoft Edge.Version 83.0.478.45 (Official build) (64-bit).

Thanks

Venky

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @VenkySr, thanks for nudging us on this thread and sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. 

Out of curiosity, are you getting the same experience with other browsers? 

Could you also check that you've got Flash Player 10 (or above) enabled and running? 

Keep me posted, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?