cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to open an Excel sheet online in Dropbox to make edits, any ideas?

I'm not able to open an Excel sheet online in Dropbox to make edits, any ideas?

Salih P.
Explorer | Level 4

I cannot open my password protected excel sheet online in Dropbox. I do not have the option "open with excel" either. How can I get this. I am constantly updating this sheet from different PCs and phone. 

Thank you. 

5 Replies 5

Re: Excel sheet Opening

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @Salih P.,

Can you clarify for me if you’re not able to see the option to “Open with..” on the website, or do you just not see the option to open with Microsoft Excel online? Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the options you see (excluding any personal info)?

If you’re just not able to see the Excel option, can you go to the “Connected apps” tab here within your account settings page, and let me know if the option for Open with menu” is toggled on at the very bottom of the page?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Seng_Hai
New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne, 

We encrypted the excel file with password. If we go to open with > Microsoft Excel Online/Google Sheets, they are unable for us to key in the password and view/edit the files. 

Any help?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Welcome to the discussion @Seng_Hai!

I'm afraid the the Microsoft Office Online integration isn't able to open password protected files. You can check this out in this official Microsoft Support page here.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help here, all I can suggest is to remove the password for the file to be able to edit it with the online integration. You should be able to open the file locally with the password though if you have the appropriate Microsoft Office app and the files syncing to your computer with the desktop app.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

crosner
New member | Level 2

I am having trouble opening a password protected excel File that I have saved in dropbox. When I try to open it on excel online it tells me the extension isn't supported

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @crosner; welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry for the late response. If you're still having issues with this could you download the file and open it locally on a device of yours with the relevant software? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    crosner New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    Seng_Hai New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?