cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to switch between personal and business account on the desktop app.

I'm not able to switch between personal and business account on the desktop app.

toddmenzel1
Explorer | Level 4

Hi - I have a personal account and a business account. I have linked them on the web app, on the tool bar thing on the top and, until recently on the desktop app. Now, the desktop app does not show the switcher that lets me toggle between my personal and business account. So, the accounts are linked and I can switch between them in the toolbar "app" and the web site - just not the desktop app. It's driving me crazy - I have to work on a project in my business account in the desktop app but can only access my personal account. I have unlinked and relinked, deleted and downloaded a new app and nothing. Any help appreciated.  

11 Replies 11

Re: I'm not able to switch between personal and business account on the desktop app.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @toddmenzel1, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

From what you've mentioned so far, it sounds like you can see your accounts are connected on your desktop app from the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, is that right?

If the issue is switching through the new desktop app interface, can you let me know if you see the current account shown in the bottom left corner when you open the app? If so, can you click on this to switch to your other account?

Please feel free to send along any screenshots too (excluding personal info) if you believe this will be helpful.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I'm not able to switch between personal and business account on the desktop app.

toddmenzel1
Explorer | Level 4

Hi - that is the problem - I don't see the switcher at the bottom left in the desktop appDropbox.jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that for me @toddmenzel1!

Just to double check both accounts are correctly linked via the desktop app, can you just confirm for me if you see both accounts showing when you:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.

From there, are you seeing an option to switch between the accounts?

If so, can you also let me know which version of the desktop app you currently have installed?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

toddmenzel1
Explorer | Level 4

Hi - thanks for that. I can confirm that I see both accounts when I click on the DB icon in the menu bar and am able to switch between accounts when I select account. It gives me options on both personal and business accounts to Unlink. 

I am on version 93.4.273 which says is the latest. 

Thanks,

Todd

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'd like to have a better look into this with you @toddmenzel1.

I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here, so please check your inbox when you have a moment if you'd like to.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

ethornett
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Daphne, did you sort this problem out with @toddmenzel1? I am having exactly the same problem. I’ve had my personal and business Dropbox accounts linked for a long time, and can confirm that right now I can switch between them using the menubar Dropbox icon, and also if I log in to Dropbox in a browser. I do remember that at some point I could also toggle between accounts in the Dropbox app, but I can no longer do so because the toggle doesn’t appear. The area at the bottom left of the app is just dark blue, as in Todd’s photo.

I’m on a Macbook Pro (2015) using Catalina 10.15.4. The Dropbox app version I have is version 94.4.384 (94.4.384) - I reinstalled it last night, so hopefully this is the latest version.

Please help! Thank you so much.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @ethornett, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this too!

In this case, it's mostly likely due to one of the accounts hasn't been opted in for using the new desktop app. Can you let me know which account you can access in the app?

Let me know!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

ethornett
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Daphne. I can see my personal account in the desktop app.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that @ethornett!

In this case, I'd suggest to reach out to our Support team for further assistance with this. However, please make sure to do so from your Business account.

To do this, make sure that you're signed into the Business account online and check out your Support options here.

Once you reach out to the team, you'll get a ticket number (eg. #1234567) which you can let me know here if you'd like to and I can follow up with you there.

Thank you!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    ethornett Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?