cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to uninstall the Dropbox desktop application from Windows

I'm not able to uninstall the Dropbox desktop application from Windows

DavidO1
Explorer | Level 3

I run Windows 10 Pro and dropbox plus. My hard disk has been filling up with dropbox files during the day for a couple of months, even though I had disabled the app in the start menu.  These files disappeared when switched off overnight.  The forum suggested reinstalling, but I had to re-enable the startup app to successfully uninstall.  When trying to reinstall I had consistent error 2 messages.  Again Jane in the forum suggested checking the path, which did include the recommended bits, I also tried without Bitdefender running and then searched for remaining dropbox folders.  I found one in Program Files (x86), with several subdirectories, but couldn't delete the dropbox folder and client subfolder because of dropboxExt64.27.0.dll sitting there.  I couldn't remove this even with admin privileges in explorer or via the command prompt.  It is probably unregistered now because I tried the regsvr /u command, but with no difference.  When I tried to see if the reinstallation was any better, I tried using the online and the 77.3.127 and 94.4.384 offline installers.  However these now fail immediately rather than generating a error 2 code towards the end of the installation.  Is there yet a final solution to all these problem and how best to proceed?

4 Replies 4

Re: I'm not able to uninstall the Dropbox desktop application from Windows

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @DavidO1, thanks for posting on the Community!

I appreciate the info, let me look into this in more detail to see what other steps we can try.

Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DavidO1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Jay, I would appreciate any help you can offer.

DavidO1

DavidO1
Explorer | Level 3

I am disappointed not have had any suggestions on how to install my drop box again after a failure to completely uninstall a dropbox file.  I still can't solve the problem, which is a real handicap in these times of supporting a child working from home.

Jay
Dropboxer

Sorry for the delay, @DavidO1. I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by accessing this link and following the steps there to email support.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?