cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm running Dropbox using Parallels & I can't see the Dropbox icon. What should I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear Community, 

The Dropbox symbol in my menu bar is gone, and it seems that Dropbox only saves files locally. I work on Mac and use Parallels Desktop for some Windows applications, and on the Parallels level, the Max Dropbox is no longer visible, either.

The other day I briefly for a pop-up note that said I had deactiveted synchronization. I must have clicked the wrong button somewhere, but have no clue as to how to solve it. At the moment, my Dropbox is virtually unusable since the people I share my files with can't access them.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you, and kind regards, 

Ute

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: No Dropbox symbol

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @sterni0104, I’m wondering if you’re running both OSes simultaneously on a dual-boot scenario or you’re running Windows in a VM. Can you clarify this detail for me if possible? 

From there, it looks like this configuration was working as expected previously, however you may have accidentally paused syncing or quit the app since then. Have you tried launching the app by any chance? 

Kindly note that, occasionally, the Dropbox icon will seem to "disappear," because the desktop app is inactive on your computer. To resolve, you can launch the application again or download (or re-download) the Dropbox desktop app and sign in to your Dropbox account when prompted. Would you mind giving it a go whenever you find a bit spare time? 

If you’ve already done so, please do let me know of the results in your next message, just in order to take it from where you’ve left off on your end. I look forward to hearing back back from you Ute! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi 

I had the same problem. Earlier I saw dropbox as a disk with letter in Windows program. Now I find it, and it "has moved" into "Home on Mac" directory as a subdirektory. Ok, I can now find it there, but I have no idea why I could earlier see it as own disk, but not anymore. Any ideas? Yours Rauno

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @RaunoY

Happy to know Dropbox is in the right place at the time

We would need to see how the icon looked to let you know how what you are describing could have happened. Do you maybe have a screenshot of the behavior? 

Thanks!

Fiona

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Now its back!!! Today I opened Mapinfo (windows version) again in Parallels, and now I can see Dropbox as a drive again. And also straight in Windows file system as "Dropbox (on Mac)"

Hopefully it stays there. 

Rauno

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the heads up @RaunoY !

If this happens again, please get back to this thread. 

We will be here to troubleshoot further. 

Thank you!

Fiona

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?