cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to backup my Desktop, and get an error that I can't do this, why?

I'm trying to backup my Desktop, and get an error that I can't do this, why?

Linda-Lorraine
New member | Level 2

Hi there!

First of all: English is my third language - please keep this in mind when I am trying to explain what is happening PLUS I am a PC - idiot as I have never needed one at home for working purposes, but as Homeoffice is a big thing now here in Europe, I am more or less forced to change my attitude towards using my PC as a working space. My hudsband uses Dropbox with his team (interior designers and is more than happy, so I thought, I´ll get myself an account and am good to go. - I have the 2TB version - I think it is called Business or so). I am trying to set up an automated BACKUP from my PC with DOCUMENTS / PICTURES and DESKTOP as the selected folders to be synced automatically. 

When I start the BAckup - Process I get the error, that my DESKTOP FOLDER is not where it is supposed to be and I am supposed to move it back to it´s original location and restart the process...... I am quite sure that I have not moved the DESKTOP folder, as I do not even know what this means. Whenever I save / download smthg to my DESKTOP it just shows up there. 

Where is the DESKTOPFOLDER supposed to be (in the explorer dropdown path) so that DROPBOX will be able to access it be default  and update my documents / folder on my desktop automatically? Funny enough - if I go to the website and click upload on each file from my desktop it will just end up in the desktopfolder of my "PC BACKUP" - but it won´t happen automatically as I said above, during BACKUP SETUP it said, that the DESKTOP FOLDER is not where it is supposed to be. 

Would anyone be so nice and help me? I would really like this BACKUP to be done automatically.

And yes - I do not have to save anything on my desktop, but current files and projects are always on my desktop for fast access so "hiding" them somewhere in the Documents folders is not really an option. 

I just want the Backup to work. I am happy to provide screenshots of the errormessage as well as of my EXPLORER - Dropdown menue.

Thank you so much,

Linda

UPDATE: this is the "PATH" my DESKTOPFOLDER is "saved":

C:\Users\User\Dropbox\Mein PC (DESKTOP-23QVBVH)\Desktop

Any help is very much appreciated

1 Reply 1

Re: I'm trying to backup my Desktop, and get an error that I can't do this, why?

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @Linda-Lorraine , let's see what we can find together on this! 

Can you send me a few screenshots of the error you get on your end when trying to enable our Computer backup feature? 

Also, based on the path you provided me with: C:\Users\User\Dropbox\Mein PC (DESKTOP-23QVBVH)\Desktop it looks as if you've already successfully enabled the feature. 

When you access the Desktop folder mentioned in the path, are you able to see the same documents you have on your device's desktop? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?