Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to set up the desktop app on my new computer. Can you help?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My desktop died a couple of months ago. Due to budgetary reasons, I was not able to replace it until now. I have been using my laptop to access my dropbox files. Now that my new desktop has arrived, and I am migrating my user data (including my dropbox files) to the new computer, I have questions.

Up until the death of my desktop, the dropbox file on it was the master. But now that I am about to migrate an older (now outdated) dropbox file on to the new desktop, how do I insure that the cloud is the new master and that the migration of an older version of the folder will not back up previous versions of work?

FYI: I am running dropbox on a Mac (Imac 27" OS Catalina).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I'm trying to set up the desktop app on my new computer. Can you help?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Kansai PJ; welcome to our Community!

At first, let me clarify that the Dropbox folder as shown on your old -now dead- computer is not the master in any way; it's just a folder on that device.  In that context, the "master" will always be the website version of your Dropbox account.

This means that when you install the desktop app on your new computer, your Dropbox folder will be populated by your Dropbox files as you see them on our website. 

After installing our desktop app on the new computer, just enter your username and password when prompted.

The app will begin downloading the files in your Dropbox folder for you automatically once you log in.

If you already have your Dropbox folder somewhere else and you want to move it to the new computer without downloading everything from the website, please refer to the relevant Help center article.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Kansai PJ; welcome to our Community!

At first, let me clarify that the Dropbox folder as shown on your old -now dead- computer is not the master in any way; it's just a folder on that device.  In that context, the "master" will always be the website version of your Dropbox account.

This means that when you install the desktop app on your new computer, your Dropbox folder will be populated by your Dropbox files as you see them on our website. 

After installing our desktop app on the new computer, just enter your username and password when prompted.

The app will begin downloading the files in your Dropbox folder for you automatically once you log in.

If you already have your Dropbox folder somewhere else and you want to move it to the new computer without downloading everything from the website, please refer to the relevant Help center article.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you. Your advice was spot on. The migration from the old to the current was seemless. Thanks again!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @Kansai PJ; I'm just happy I could help with this.

Take care and see you around the Community! 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?