cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm unable to edit my Excel spreadsheet in Dropbox as I'm asked for an Office 365 license. Any ideas

I'm unable to edit my Excel spreadsheet in Dropbox as I'm asked for an Office 365 license. Any ideas

Explorer | Level 3

Unable to edit excel spreadsheet or word files in dropbox.  Keep being asked to log into 360 account which I do not have.  My dropbox has been and is my personal account and I have never needed any licenses in the past.  Any thoughts.

9 Replies 9

Re: I'm unable to edit my Excel spreadsheet in Dropbox as I'm asked for an Office 365 license. Any i

Dropboxer

Hi @C S., thanks for posting in the Community!

Could you clarify that you’re signed into your personal Dropbox account, which isn’t part of a Dropbox Business team? You can doublecheck the email address from here.

Only users in a Dropbox Business team, or those trying to edit Office files on a tablet greater than 10.1” would need a license to edit the files.

Could you forward a screenshot of the message you’re getting? Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I'm unable to edit my Excel spreadsheet in Dropbox as I'm asked for an Office 365 license. Any i

Explorer | Level 3
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly,

I logged into my Dropbox account as usual and have attached a screen shot of the message I receive when I attempt to open my Microsoft files.6.jpg
I am not using an iPad only an iPhone occasionally to edit certain spreadsheets.
This has always been my personal account and I am the only user.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
All the very best.

Dropboxer

It looks like you’re editing the files directly from the Excel app, and not via Dropbox, since the ◀ Dropbox option isn’t appearing on the top left.

Could you confirm that you’re opening the Excel file in the Dropbox mobile app first, and then opening the file from there, which then loads up the Excel app? If not, try these steps and let me know if this works.

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay:

Thank you for your reply.  I have attached a PDF with screen shots of the method that I am using to access an Excel file for editing.  This issue is troublesome inlight of th fact that I have been able to edit Excel and Word files for years with out any problem.

I look forward to your reply and thank you for your assistance in this matter.

All the best

Chad

Dropboxer

Thanks for the reply. Currently, it isn’t possible to attach PDF files in the Community.

Could you forward the individual screenshots showing how you’re editing the file from the Dropbox mobile app to the Excel app? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

As requested:

IMG_8295.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

[Amended as per Community Guidelines]

Dropboxer

Thanks for the images. If you’ve been using the integration for some time, then you will need to sign in with a Microsoft account to continue editing files.

However, if you’re not on a Dropbox Business plan, then you don’t need to purchase a license.

The login is only required to continue editing your files without requiring a license while on a non-Business plan.

I hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks...will do.

Thanks again for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

Chad

Dropboxer

No problem, @C S., enjoy your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?