cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to link a new account to the desktop app

I need to link a new account to the desktop app

KH63
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

I have a personal Dropbox (free) account, and have now been added to a family group, under a different email. So I set up a new account using the new email. How do I link that new account to the existing desktop app so I can switch between the two? I keep getting prompted to download the app, but when it installs, it seems to simply update the existing app, rather than install a separate iteration (which I wouldn't mind).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I need to link a new account to the desktop app

Rich
Super User II

@KH63 wrote:

Thanks for the further reply. I thought I already had set up a new account.

Mark is referring to two computer user accounts; not two Dropbox user accounts. You can't run two separate Dropbox accounts under a single computer user account, unless one is Business and one is Personal and they have been linked.

Is it not possible to have two apps running on the same machine, using two different email addresses?

No, it's not possible unless you have one Business account and one Personal account, and you've linked the two accounts.

I would rather disable the personal account, or at least unlink it from the app and only access it via the website, as I don't use an awful lot. What would be the best way to do that?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

You cant I'm afraid. 

Unless one of your accounts is a Business one you can only have 1 account syncing on the windows account at a time.

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/multiple-accounts/link-unlink-two-accounts

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KH63
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, I didn't realise I was trying to do something that wasn't possible.

So I would have two iterations of the app, and have to sign into which one i wanted to use?

But when I download the app (when signed in with the email that is in the Family group) and it installs, I don't end up with two iterations, ie, a version of the app for the second account. What do i do to make that work?

Mark
Super User II

You need to have each version of Dropbox running on separate user accounts. You cannot have both running on the same user account at the same time unless one is a Business account. 

So you can unlink the current Dropbox account on your computer and relink the Family one OR you can set up a new user account for the new Family one. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KH63
Explorer | Level 4

I followed all the steps and prompts to set up the account, downloading the app when prompted, running the exe file etc, but when I looked in the program list, there was still only the one iteration of the app. Is it not possible to have two apps running on the same machine, using two different email addresses?

To be honest , if it is not possible, I would rather disable the personal account, or at least unlink it from the app and only access it via the website, as I don't use an awful lot. What would be the best way to do that?

thanks again for the help.

Rich
Super User II

@KH63 wrote:

Mark is referring to two computer user accounts; not two Dropbox user accounts. You can't run two separate Dropbox accounts under a single computer user account, unless one is Business and one is Personal and they have been linked.

Is it not possible to have two apps running on the same machine, using two different email addresses?

No, it's not possible unless you have one Business account and one Personal account, and you've linked the two accounts.

I would rather disable the personal account, or at least unlink it from the app and only access it via the website, as I don't use an awful lot. What would be the best way to do that?

View solution in original post

KH63
Explorer | Level 4

thank you, I'll try that!

omar Sultan
New member | Level 2

I need to link up with anoother account

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @omar Sultan, thanks for your post!

Would you mind clarifying if you want to pair your Dropbox account with a second one, or to unlink your computer from your Dropbox account and link it to a different one?

Was the info in this thread not helpful?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?