cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uninstalling dropbox

I uninstalled the desktop app, but the Dropbox folder is still on my computer. Any help?

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi!

I have problem with uninstalling dropbox from my computer... One day a donwload it because i need sync documents between my devices but in this time i dont need it. So i go to start panel and right click dropbox and click "Uninstall" so dropbox uninstall sucefully but in my computer is styll file "Dropbox" but when I try to delete it, it starts deleting my desktop, documents and a lot of other files so I stop it before it starts deleting it. And so I want to ask is there any way to delete the folder so that all my files do not have Location: "C: Users / user / dropbox / My Pc / ....." so that it is again as before installation (C: Users / user / .....)

I have already uninstalled dropbox and deleted my account, but still the folder is still there, I tried to install dropbox again and then uninstall but still nothing ....

Thank you for your support

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for that @User134679, and for sticking with me here while we look into this!

Let's try manually resetting the default folder location for the Desktop folder. You can exit out of the desktop app setup by quitting the app before taking these steps.

To do this, please navigate to the Desktop folder in File Explorer (not the folder in Dropbox) and then:

1. Right click the Desktop folder
  2. Choose "Properties"
  3. Go to the "Locations" tab
  4. Choose to reset to default location.

This will reset the folder location to ensure that it's in the correct location. Once you've done this, can you let me know if you have the same issue when moving the desktop files from Dropbox to the actual Desktop?

If so, please try the previous suggestion once more to reinstall the desktop app and enable the backup.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

60 Replies 60

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @User134679, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

From what you've mentioned, the computer backup feature was enabled during the initial install of the app.

Since you've uninstalled the app from your computer, it should have now been disabled. Can you try moving the content of the "Dropbox > My PC > Downloads/Desktop/Documents" folders to another location on your computer?

Just to note, when you uninstall the Dropbox app on your computer, the Dropbox folder will remain on your computer but will no longer sync and will just be like any other folder on your computer.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I thing sync files with dropbox is not disablet because i still have file with name "My files in dropbox" and when i delete one file from it, it delete too in my computer..

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @User134679!

The "My files in Dropbox" should be a shortcut to the files within the Dropbox folder.

Can you let me know if you can move the files from there to another location on your computer, like drag and drop them to your Desktop?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
When I move it from that folder, it moves to the desktop, but in the folder "My files in dropbox" it's still .. Another thing is that if I decide to delete something from the desktop, it will be deleted from the folder "My files in dropbox " too.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Would you mind sending me a few screenshots @User134679? It would be useful to send a screenshot of:

• where you see the "My files in Dropbox" shortcut.
  • the Desktop folder and the "My PC > Desktop" folder side by side.

Also, just to clarify, once you've moved the file from Dropbox to the desktop, if you delete the file from Dropbox is it also deleted from your Desktop?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne 

There are screenshots

Where i see the "My files in Dropbox" shortcut: https://ctrlv.cz/XDVE

The Desktop folder and the "My PC > Desktop" folder side by side: https://ctrlv.cz/GJA6

And answer for your last question: 

Yes, when I delete a file from the dropbox, it is also deleted from the desktop. Conversely, this also applies if I delete a file from the desktop, it is also deleted from the dropbox. It's connected.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for those screenshots @User134679.

Can you drag and drop a file or folder from the "My PC > Desktop" folder to your actual Desktop and let me know if that removes it from Dropbox and keeps it only on your Desktop?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne 

I cant.. Beacuse when i create new file in My PC> Desktop it create on my Normal desktop too so it writes to me that I already have a folder named like this on the desktop.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you send me a screenshot of the notification that you're getting when you try to do that @User134679?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?