cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I want to stop backing up my desktop on Dropbox.

I want to stop backing up my desktop on Dropbox.

rhaines765
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using a different app to backup my desktop computer and its files.  I want to continue to use Dropbox, but I don't need it to do the backups.  How can I stop this feature?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @rhaines765 - how are you today?

As our desktop app is designed to watch your Dropbox folder and sync any files placed in the folder you'll only need to uninstall it. Remember, your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing features.

You'd then be able to access your Dropbox account through the website at:

https://www.dropbox.com/

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there as a local copy of your Dropbox files at the time you uninstalled (or unlinked) our app from your account on your desktop computer.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

36 Replies 36

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @rhaines765 - how are you today?

As our desktop app is designed to watch your Dropbox folder and sync any files placed in the folder you'll only need to uninstall it. Remember, your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing features.

You'd then be able to access your Dropbox account through the website at:

https://www.dropbox.com/

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there as a local copy of your Dropbox files at the time you uninstalled (or unlinked) our app from your account on your desktop computer.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

rhaines765
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, Walter,

I am doing well today.  Thank you for asking.

So it wouldn't cost me any more or any less to let Dropbox continue performing a backup?  I see from other posts that indicate the backups are not retained indefinitely.  I didn't want to be using up space.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That would be up to you and how you use it @rhaines765!

If you'd like to free up space on a computer using our desktop app, take a look at our selective sync feature:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

rhaines765
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was able to do exactly as you suggested.  I am using the Selective Sync instead of uninstalling the Dropbox app.

Thank you!

a_moral
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

my god, that's such an annoying feature. I had trouble with my drop box recently and decided to un- and re install it. ....little did I know that I would spend almost an hour trying to fix this issue. why is it even enabled on a basic plan? who came up with that idea? the mind boggles. 
Oh, I did that survey after installing drop box, and I absolutely have to correct myself on the matter of "was it easy to find?" hell no! I thought I fixed it and it just kept creating back ups in the background. horrible. 
"Haha, stupid user, your own fault! why did you click through the installer menu like all the other times on all your other devices, just like you did these last 3 years? How dare you ignore our new futures you don't care about (and have absolutely no space for, so here are 5 reminders that you can buy more space*nodgenodge* *coughtstupidbasicusercough*) How dare you user! Now go! Waste some time and fix it!" 

janthyer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OMG, I am in the middle of the same Dropbox HELL you are reporting. I - - - BY MISTAKE - - - started the back-up "feature" two months ago and have been unable to save ANYTHING to my PC since then because of how completely messed up my PC is. I even called Carbonite, the service I pay to back-up my files and they did as much as they could to help me but had to pass me off to Support.com to try to get Dropbox out of my life without trashing my files and THAT idiot launched the Dropbox sync ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! I am also only a BASIC user so support is completely NON-EXISTENT from the evil empire called Dropbox. I have been manually backing up my files onto Flash drives for two weeks so that if I lose everything I can re-install but I am TERRIFIED to follow the directions given to me by the chat support, person, Colin, whom I was able to contact from my 11 year old iMac. That elusive support option is like Brigadoon -- only available every 100 years. Those directions come with the terrifying caveat, "make sure you don't select the option to delete the files from BOTH the CLOUD AND your computer!!!" And the weirdest thing is Dropbox is now "complimenting" me on my participation in the "Community!" HAH! I will probably have to fork over $45 to Droopbox to become a Business Team member so I can talk on the telephone to somebody. WRETCHED PROGRAM. I am happy to pay Carbonite to back up my files rather than have to suffer this NON service from Dropbox.

on the earth now
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Such a good question! Every time I look and everywhere I look I see Dropbox has backed up people's files against their wishes....

on the earth now
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I chose to backup "locally" -- as I got caught up in a long process I couldn't back out of or discontinue but now Dropbox is backing everything up to the "cloud" where I don't want it. And when I plugged in a very big external hard drive hoping it would back my PC to it, it just suggested that I might want to back up my external hard drive to the cloud (only it doesn't use the word "cloud" which makes the process even more mystifying and confusing).

on the earth now
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

so interesting that Dropbox hasn't done anything to address this issue in over a year....

Need more support?