cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to use the iOS dropbox app, select a file, and attach to a pre-written email, NOT a new mail

I want to use the iOS dropbox app, select a file, and attach to a pre-written email, NOT a new mail

Craig5
New member | Level 2

Im trying to use my phone more on the move.

At the moment i can draft an email and use the insert attachment function, however, this function doesn't allow me to view my files first. Also the file search is completely hit and miss. Im searching for files that i know exist and yielding nothing. 

So i thought i would use the app, search the files i need efficiently, and be able to view them, Perfect!!! Accept its not perfect because i have no way of attaching my files to the email i just spent 25 minutes writing.

So to recap, Option 1: Use the insert attachment function in the email ive just written. Cant view the files i want to double check they are correct. very temperamental file search so difficult to find the files in the first place. 

Option 2: Use the dropbox app to search and view my files with ease. Cant attach files to emails ive just spent time writing. 

Before anyone suggests that i find the file i want in the dropbox app and export it to the mail app, where i can copy and paste my written email in. That only solves the problem if im sending one file at a time. Which I never am. 

Any help would be amazing, you be saving me the hassle of buying even more technology. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I want to use the iOS dropbox app, select a file, and attach to a pre-written email, NOT a new m

Craig5
New member | Level 2

Ive solved it, Ive downloaded the Microsoft outlook email app and it works perfectly with dropbox. I can write an email, then browse and attach drop box files without leaving the outlook app. Wunderbar !!!!!

Shocked the iOS mail app is so cumbersome.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: I want to use the iOS dropbox app, select a file, and attach to a pre-written email, NOT a new m

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Craig, are you using an Android or iOS device? Additionally, which mailing app are you using, if not the default app on your device?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Craig5
New member | Level 2

Hello Jay, 

I have an iphone XR and im using the iOS mail app, not a thrird party app. 

Kind regards, Craig 

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for that. Since you’re on iOS, there is the iOS Files app, which links to multiple cloud providers.

iOS Mail can’t attach files from the Dropbox mobile app directly, however it should be able to do so from the albums on your phone and the Files app. Therefore, you could import Dropbox images and files from there.

You might need to download the files first through the Files app, and then you can open your email, write something, and attach a file through there.

Could you try this out on a test email to see if it works out that way?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Craig5
New member | Level 2

Ive solved it, Ive downloaded the Microsoft outlook email app and it works perfectly with dropbox. I can write an email, then browse and attach drop box files without leaving the outlook app. Wunderbar !!!!!

Shocked the iOS mail app is so cumbersome.

Jay
Dropboxer
No worries, I’m glad to hear that you found a solution to this matter!

Have a great weekend ahead. 🙂

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Craig5 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?