cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOS 13 Dropbox App: Preventing MSExcel File to EDIT, Asking for Office365 Subscription

Highlighted

IOS 13 Dropbox App: Preventing MSExcel File to EDIT, Asking for Office365 Subscription

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Team,

I used to edit Excel or Word file from Dropobox (Iphone XS IOS 13.1) app using Office365. However recently observed that while trying to edit, Excel app, doesn't allow me to make changes in the files, asking for Office365 subscription. I got basic subscription of Dropbox.

Is there any changes from Dropbox side?

I did try some troubleshooting e.g.

1. Re-installing dropbox and excel

2. Trying opening the excel files from FILES app

3. Trying creating a new file as Excel from dropbox (even new file creation was not allowed)

4. Tried using offline files vs non-offline files.

But none of them worked. Same issue. Attached is the screenshot. 

Thanks in advance.

PS: It works well using web browsers though on my mac88001902_576562256276721_1658446791797899264_n.jpg87366543_675655973177374_6353645447113867264_n.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: IOS 13 Dropbox App: Preventing MSExcel File to EDIT, Asking for Office365 Subscription

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information here @prabhat2486; it's much appreciated.

If you’ve been using the integration for some time as you mentioned, then you will need to sign in with a Microsoft account to continue editing files normally. 

However, if you’re not on a Dropbox Business plan, then you don’t need to purchase a license.

The login is only required to continue editing your files without requiring a license while on a non-Business plan.

I hope this helps to clarify matters! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: IOS 13 Dropbox App: Preventing MSExcel File to EDIT, Asking for Office365 Subscription

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @prabhat2486 - happy Monday!

Thanks for sharing all the troubleshooting you've performed so far; I appreciate it.

Can you let me know when did you first notice this and the versions of the apps you use? 

Based on your description now, it's possible that Dropbox has not been set as a location in the Files app. Can you please open the Files app on your device and press ‘edit’? Under locations you should see all available locations with Dropbox toggle off. Please switch this on and press 'done'.

Afterwards, try editing one of your Excel files anew and let me know the results. 

Thanks! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response.

I think, for a month this issue being experienced, but not exactly sure. I could recollect that it was giving me warning while trying to edit that "You are left with 5 edits before you sign in" and then finally prevented me to edit the Excel file.

The dropbox app version is 176.2.2 and IOS 13.3.1.

I tried toggling OFF and ON but the behaviour is still the same. By the way, the toggle was ON for Dropbox in Files app initially, so I turned OFF and then ON.

I am facing the same issue when trying to edit an Excel file from the Dropbox app itself (it first opens in view mode and then little I button open in relevant app), so it is not just limited to Files app and not just limited to Excel files rather Word and Powerpoint too.

Hope this helps you in the investigation.

Thanks in advance. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information here @prabhat2486; it's much appreciated.

If you’ve been using the integration for some time as you mentioned, then you will need to sign in with a Microsoft account to continue editing files normally. 

However, if you’re not on a Dropbox Business plan, then you don’t need to purchase a license.

The login is only required to continue editing your files without requiring a license while on a non-Business plan.

I hope this helps to clarify matters! 

Walter

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?