cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

IOS sort by date is inconsistent with other platforms

Helpful | Level 6

On IOS, sorting by date lists files in order of date uploaded.

On all other platforms, include Safari on IOS, sorting by date lists in order of date last modified.  This is MUCH more useful.

Is there an option that fixes this on IOS?

-- martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: IOS sort by date is inconsistent with other platforms

Super User II
Super User II
There isnt anything actually to fix I'm afraid - nothing is broke. What you are seeing is intended behaviour.

All I can suggest is logging a change request over at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Share-an-idea/ct-p/101002000

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
There isnt I'm afraid Martin.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Mark, is this something they plan to fix?  Surely not a desirable feature!

— martin

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
There isnt anything actually to fix I'm afraid - nothing is broke. What you are seeing is intended behaviour.

All I can suggest is logging a change request over at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Share-an-idea/ct-p/101002000

- - -

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

So someone at Dropbox actually believes that iOS users really want to see their files in a different sort order than they see on Windows?  Or in a browser?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

— martin

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
I don't see this behavior on iOS. When I'm in list view and it's sorted by Date, the files are listed in descending order of when they were modified. I have a video that I uploaded a week or so ago. I just modified it and now it's appearing at the top of the list.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

A folder with a few hundred files with dates stretching back a few years.  On iOS it sorts by upload date (all same). On others by last modified date. Same behavior on iPhone and iPad. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Tested same set of files and devices with Google drive.  Works perfectly.  They allow for three different date sorts.

Please DropBox, fix this asap.  Been using your service for a long time and really don't want to switch, but it is not usable as-is.

Thanks,

-- martin

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi mih,

I am a mobile engineer at Dropbox. I hear your issue. Our date sort is the creation/modified date of the file in Dropbox. I understand that it would be useful to have a date sort based on metadata of the file.

Edit: Hi mih, I checked google drive and their 3 sorts are "Modified date", "modified by me", and "opened by me". None of them uses the creation date of the original file. Can you share with me a screenshot of the sort that works for you on google drive?

Edit 2: I reread your post and you talked about our other platforms having the sorting you want. Our web client sorts the same way as iOS, using the Dropbox modified by date, so if you upload to web the date used is the uploaded date. Could you also share a screenshot of the sort our web platform is doing that you want on iOS?

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Good morning Maple,

Sorting by 'Modified date' works for me.  Unfortunately I don't have the files that originally triggered this issue on hand so can't show a screen shot.

Regards,

-- martin

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?