cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: IPad: Dropbox and Google Sheets Integration

IPad: Dropbox and Google Sheets Integration

Olbliss
Collaborator | Level 8

Does anyone have any advice on how to use the google suite with Dropbox on an Ipad?

As the pictures below show, the Dropbox ipad app can't open up google sheets files, even though the google sheets app is installed. If I try to drag the google sheet file to the new window, it tries to save the file into my Google Drive account before opening. (The process fails and I can't open it, though I wouldn't want to save/uploead to dropbox every time I am finished with the spreadsheet).

So I tried to open the google sheet file via my Safari web browser. For some reason, Drobox cues the drop down bar to say "open in Dropbox" (see pic) - clicking this only leads to the same result as described above. My only option is to try and use google sheets on the safari webbrowser, by opening the file on dropbox.com. Sadly, the functionality isn't very good on Safari, the bottom menu on the google sheet doc often gets lost, making navigation around the spreadsheet impossible. 

Same old story, Dropbox seems to be making everyting available via a web browser, but not making the same accessibility available for non desktop/laptop webrowser users. :triumph:

Can anyone give me any advice, or suggestions? An alternative is to resort to Microsoft Excel, but I really don't fancy paying for an office 365 subscription. Apple's numbers doesn't link with dropbox. :sob:

B18FD884-6B24-40FD-814E-F14A5183140A.jpeg505AD68B-93B2-4A18-8D80-0FEAB7E21454.jpeg

18 Replies 18

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It wouldn't be possible to do this on an iPad. Only the Dropbox site on a desktop machine allows you to open files in Excel or Google Sheets.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Olbliss
Collaborator | Level 8
@Jay - iPad safari on the iPad Pro is now desktop standard - and it does work as so. The issue is the prompting to “open in Dropbox” tab at the top, or, when google sheets is open (when opened through dropbox online) it misses the bottom row of the spreadsheet. It almost does it, just some minor changes need to be made. Fundamentally, iPad safari on the Pro is now a desktop browser - you can open google sheets through iPad safari. Try it yourself on an iPad Pro before making an incorrect assumption.

Olbliss
Collaborator | Level 8

FD019999-7C84-4DA0-8364-FCD10C46E015.png

@Jay Here I am using google sheets in my iPad safari browser. 

Inesita
Helpful | Level 5

@Olbliss @Jay 

Hi, for me it doesn't behave the same way. When i choose the xlsx file to open in Dropbox in the safari browser it first tells me to allow cookies for google sheets.

i do so, then it opens the file, everything looks fine, it keeps loading and at a certain point it tells me it had a problem and next time when i ask him to open the file it keeps telling me t open my google session and nothing else happens. So annoying!

Any idea?

Tall_English2021
Explorer | Level 4
Dropbox team, please create the feature where a user can create a Google Doc when you click on the “create” button within the mobile app on an iPad. It is extremely frustrating to have to log in using safari to create a Google Doc on an iPad when you already have an app installed! It’s crazy that you can do it for Excel but not the google software.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Tall_English2021, if you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Olbliss
Collaborator | Level 8
@Jay we are asking for it to be an additional feature for development.
It’s really frustrating to see very limited updates and changes to the iPad Dropbox app.

Poweruser_c
New member | Level 2
+1 for dropbox app.
Please make google products natively editable via dropbox app. It is really annoying.
Cheers

Poweruser_c
New member | Level 2
Please let us edit Google Products via Dropbox mobile app ios/android
Need more support?