cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IWork "cannot connect to iCloud" error for documents in shared Dropbox folders accessed via Files

IWork "cannot connect to iCloud" error for documents in shared Dropbox folders accessed via Files

ErinJWade
Explorer | Level 4

I am finding a bug that occurs when I try to open Pages or Numbers documents that are in Dropbox folders thru the Files app in iOS 11. When I do this I get a slide over error notification indicating "! Couldn’t connect to iCloud". If I try to edit the file, it immediately throws up an error notification that says "Couldn’t connect. Pages [or Numbers] couldn’t connect to iCloud. Try editing this shared document later, or edit a copy.". It gives the option to edit a copy, or just "ok", which returns to the same state - I can view, but not edit the document. These documents are not shared thru iCloud - they are just in shared Dropbox folders. And I do not see this problem occurring with iWork documents that are in folders that only I have access to (that are not shared). In those situations it appears to work properly, including save in place. This only appears to be occurring in shared folders, almost as if Files is assuming the "shared" status of the folder means the documents are shared thru iCloud.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: IWork "cannot connect to iCloud" error for documents in shared Dropbox folders accesse

CC_JF
Dropboxer

Hi again, an update from our end. 

I've able to reproduce the issue and we're still trying to determine the correct solution. It appears that the iWork applications handle documents marked as 'Shared' differently than normal. The only workaround we've determined in the short term is to make a copy of the file into a directory that is not marked as shared and edit it there. From a personal standpoint, I apologize for the inconvience while we figure out the best solution for this!

Thanks,

Jeff

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: IWork "cannot connect to iCloud" error for documents in shared Dropbox folders accesse

CC_JF
Dropboxer

Hey there, Dropbox iOS Dev here. 

This is indeed something we observed in testing — it’s likely that you have an older version of the iWork apps. In order to use them you have to enable iCloud support in the Settings app. I don’t have an older version of the iWork apps handy but it’s located either in Settings -> iCloud Drive -> [Turn on Use Pages, Keynote, Numbers] or Settings -> [Pages, Keynote, Numbers] -> iCloud Support.

Alternatively, if you upgrade to Pages, Numbers and Keynote 3.3 you should be able to skip that step entirely and things should work just fine. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Jeff

alyssacamilleqq
New member | Level 2
Hi, the problem still exists on an upgraded version of the app (Version 3.3 (5052)).

PongpanS
New member | Level 2

Same version & issue here.

@alyssacamilleqq wrote:
Hi, the problem still exists on an upgraded version of the app (Version 3.3 (5052)).

ErinJWade
Explorer | Level 4

As others noted, I am on the most current version of the iWork apps (3.3), and the issue persists. 

There was an update today for Dropbox for iOS today - 68.2.2. The issue is still present in this version. 

CC_JF
Dropboxer

Hi again, an update from our end. 

I've able to reproduce the issue and we're still trying to determine the correct solution. It appears that the iWork applications handle documents marked as 'Shared' differently than normal. The only workaround we've determined in the short term is to make a copy of the file into a directory that is not marked as shared and edit it there. From a personal standpoint, I apologize for the inconvience while we figure out the best solution for this!

Thanks,

Jeff

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CC_JF Dropboxer
    ErinJWade Explorer | Level 4
    PongpanS New member | Level 2
    alyssacamilleqq New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?