cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon Tray button "Open dropbox.com" gives instant access to dropbox account

Icon Tray button "Open dropbox.com" gives instant access to dropbox account

Sinie47
Explorer | Level 4

I have a pc with dropbox client installed. It is linked with my dropbox account, and only a single folder is set to be synced with this machine. So far so good. 

I have two-way vertification activated, and when i go to dropbox.com and log in, it works like a charm.

Here is the issue: If i click on the dropbox tray icon, i see the button "open dropbox.com", and by clicking on it, i am taken directly to my dropbox account, logged in and all. Not much security there! 

Is there any way to prevent this "easy access" feature? I dont want this computer to be a open door into my DB, in case of theft.

Best regards

Me.

13 Replies 13

Re: Icon Tray button "Open dropbox.com" gives instant access to dropbox account

Fearg
Dropboxer

Hi,

It's great to see you taking your account security seriously, vigilance is key! :robot:

Setting up two factor authentication on your account is a great of stopping someone entering your account, but this only prevents someone access if your account is not logged in. So on your computer your account is logged in and when you click on the globe button to open your account online you are already logged in too, using this button.

Your two factor authentication will reset and force you to use it every 30 days I believe, but the only way to really protect a device like this is to logout of your account on the desktop. If this is not feasible for you or you simply do not want to do it, you can always remote wipe a device if it has been stolen, thus protecting your data and keeping anyone unwanted out.

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

Mark
Super User II
Sinie - secure the computer rather than a program on it. Use strong passwords and security rules on the user account of your machine to stop people getting to the application in the first place

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sinie47
Explorer | Level 4

... Doesn't help much, if the computer is stolen, and the HDD is removed and connected via a HDD dock...

I can see why the computer HAS to be logged in, to allow the client to sync, but is that Globe button really necessary? Atleast, would it not be a fairly easy step, to make the Globe button optional?

Mark
Super User II
All your data on your machine is insecure anyway if your HDD is stolen so a password isnt going to help much.

And if it is stolen you can unlink it instantly via the Dropbox website which stops that working.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sinie47
Explorer | Level 4

Regarding the remote wipe function - My friend  recently had unwanted visitors in the house, and they got away with all the electronics. That got me thinking about my own tech stuff.

If, say, my house is broking in to, let say friday, and i find out saturday, there is planty of time, for the person, to go into my not-so-secure DB, mess around and/or change the password! 

Mark
Super User II
Which they couldnt do if your equipment was secured via passwords and or encryption.

Your data is only as secure as the physical access to any device - thats why its so secure around server rooms. Even if you had a password on the software whats to stop them adding a keylogger to the machine and stealing your password along with your phone (because they are in your house) to get access to your 2 step password.

Sinie47
Explorer | Level 4

Keylogger and subsequent theft of my phone is a completely diffirent scenario. I just want my DB to be safe, if my laptop is stolen. (And im not talking about the content of the client folder - Just the access to my DB)

Mark
Super User II
There is no way to do this other than what has been said I'm afraid.

Sinie47
Explorer | Level 4

Ok. I just had to ask. 

Btw how do you log out of your DB on the computer? I can close the program, but it just logs in, when the program is restartet.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    pmelampy Helpful | Level 5
    Sinie47 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?