cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon on Menu Bar on Mac keeps disappearing

Icon on Menu Bar on Mac keeps disappearing

NeilEwart
Explorer | Level 3

I seem to have trouble with the app on my Mac since I updated to Big Sur.The item always used to be visible in my menau bar and be blue coloured.  Now it comes and goes from the menu bar and is grey.  If I try to open it (say to change preferences) it just disappears.  Also if I open activity monitor there seems to be multiple versions of dropbox running, or at leats multiple l,ines in Activity Monitor saying Dropbox

I have deleted the application, downloaded and re-installed but no change.  It does seem, however, to be syncing files.  Any clues? Neil

6 Replies 6

Re: Icon on Menu Bar on Mac keeps disappearing

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @NeilEwart, thanks for joining the Community!

The Dropbox icon should appear to be black or grey in the menu bar, as per these screenshots.

If you're seeing something different, and the entire icon is blue, are you referring to the icon in the dock at the bottom?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NeilEwart
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Jay - maybe it used to be gray.  But what happens is that the grey icon in the menu bar (at top of the screen) keeps disappearing.  If I tehn click the blue icon in the Dock (ie bottom of screen) a message comes up saying 

The application “Dropbox” is not open anymore.

They grey icon at the top will then show briefly but then disappears and I can't access it.  IfI  quickly hover over the grey icon it says "Syncing" and then disappears.  If I manage to click on it I get to a screen where is says Dropbox is starting and that then immediately disappears.  It seems to me that it is constantly stopping and then restarting

Neil

NeilEwart
Explorer | Level 3

Here are some screenshots Jay

It now doesn't seem to be synced and I cant force it too as the menu doesn't stay open long enough.

Oddly - I again deleted dropbox and reinstalled.  And before re-installed I deleted the password from keychain but when it installed it didn't ask for the password which I thought was odd.

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 10.31.36 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 10.31.24 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 10.36.13 am.png

Jay
Dropboxer
If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NeilEwart
Explorer | Level 3
Am currently on a basic plan.
Update….I had tried a number of reinstalls but nothing changed. Syncing had also stopped. So I moved everything out of my Dropbox folder into a temp folder. Deleted the Dropbox folder, deleted the application, deleted the install packages in my downloads, emptied the trash, shut down. Then restarted the machine, reinstalled, had to recreate Dropbox folder (not sure why as it was renamed when instal finished) and it all started syncing. Now seems ok. The icon remains in the menu bar and syncing working. Fingers crossed…

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update, @NeilEwart. If the issue persists, please let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    NeilEwart Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?