cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon on iPad is faded. I can't click on it or delete it or reinstall it.

Icon on iPad is faded. I can't click on it or delete it or reinstall it.

Steve B.78
New member | Level 1

I have Dropbox on 2 iPhones and 2 iPads.  It has worked flawlessly, until now.  The icon on one ipad is faded.  If I click on it it says "waiting" forever.  If I try to delete it I get the normal message "If you delete " " you will lose all the data".  It does not say Dropbox between the quotes.  I click "Delete", but nothing happens.  I guess it is deleting " ".  Then I try to reinstall it from the App Store.  That doesn't help either.  

So, I sort of have Dropbox, but can't use it.  I sort of DON'T have it.  

9 Replies 9

Re: Icon on iPad is faded. I can't click on it or delete it or reinstall it.

Rich
Super User II

Have you restarted the device yet?

If all else fails, restart the device, uninstall, restart again, reinstall.

Steve B.78
New member | Level 1

Thanks Rich. Yes, I have restarted the device, but I still can't delete the app. Therefore I can't reinstall it. 

Rich
Super User II

Connect it to iTunes and try to remove it from there?

Steve B.78
New member | Level 1

I did not think of that until you mentioned it. So I just tried it. But I can't find any "remove app" option there.   I did reinstall it but I don't think that it's going anywhere. 

Rich
Super User II

Open iTunes and select your device. In the navigation on the left, select Apps. You'll see a list of all your apps on the right along with a display of your home screens. Scroll down the list of apps until you find Dropbox and click the Remove button next to it.

><br>
Note that I'm using the latest version of iTunes and I don't know if the interface has changed recently (first time I've installed iTunes in years).</p>

Steve B.78
New member | Level 1

I'm learning as we go.  I opened iTunes on my laptop with the USB connected.  I found the spot, but my only option is to update Dropbox.  I click that and it changes to "will update".  Then I click Apply. Then it says waiting for sync to begin.  Then I wait some more.  You have guided me well, but I'm still stuck.

Heidi K.2
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same issue. I managed..somehow, to finally delete the app, but now it won't reinstall. Where, how, does one send a ticket to Dropbox help team? 

Steve B.78
New member | Level 1

One day Dropbox just decided to cooperate.  I was able to delete the app and re-install.  I have no idea why!

Heidi K.2
New member | Level 1

I've got it working on my iPhone. But on the iPad, it's just stuck. I tried reinstalling, and now it's back where it was, faded icon, won't delete, won't load, won't work! 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Heidi K.2 New member | Level 1
    Steve B.78 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?