cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important File is missing some of its Version History

Important File is missing some of its Version History

yalshaikh
New member | Level 2

Last night Excel crashed on me while working on a very important file. When I opened it again it had recovered to a very old version. I looked in the Version History for the file, and even though this is a file that I update daily, the last copy I found was from the 1st of November. What can I do to recover the last save from last night?

I really hope you guys can help me with this matter since one of the main reasons I use Dropbox (I'm a Plus user) for personal and work files is that it keeps a 30 day version backup for all my files. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Important File is missing some of its Version History

yalshaikh
New member | Level 2

Good thinking! A quick spotlight search rendered a recent version in one of my manual backup folders.

I'll definitely have to look into some redundancy backup solutions in the near future.

Thanks! 🙂

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
It sounds like for whatever reason Dropbox isnt/wasnt syncing - its possible that this is the case if you dont close Excel as it needs to be closed to have the sync work.

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing? Is it showing the file being added to Dropbox?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

yalshaikh
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply!

The Events page shows all other files syncing normally except for this file. 

It shows every single save I've done since the crash last night. I checked, it syncs every time I click save in Excel (I don't have to even close the app).

Yet for some reason, the History is empty between the time of Excel crashing and November 1st. 

Mark
Super User II
Office is a strange beast. It locks files when they are in use (although obviously not always as you are seeing) and Dropbox cannot sync when its locked.

Unfortunately as the files not been uploaded to Dropbox at all it isnt recoverable via Dropbox 😞

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

yalshaikh
New member | Level 2

That is so strange! The Version History is showing numerous daily syncs all the way up to November 1st. Then nothing related to this important file until last night when Excel crashed, and now its syncing again every time I hit save. 

So if it doesn't show up in the Version History and the Events page then Dropbox doesn't have a copy and there's nothing I can do about it?

Mark
Super User II
Correct I'm afraid. For whatever reason Dropbox hasnt 'seen' that file

The only other thing you could try would be to look elsewhere on your computer/Dropbox to see if its saved in another directory, but, its unlikely if you've not moved the file at all.

yalshaikh
New member | Level 2

Good thinking! A quick spotlight search rendered a recent version in one of my manual backup folders.

I'll definitely have to look into some redundancy backup solutions in the near future.

Thanks! 🙂

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

yalshaikh New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?