cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Person Help in Setting Up Dropbox

In Person Help in Setting Up Dropbox

Larry1156
Helpful | Level 7

Help  -  I'm lost.    I paid my money and can't e ven get started.   Since Dropbox has no customer support except for Fortune 500 business accounts, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this monster going on my computer?    And please do not say "read the instructions" as I have already done that.     I have also e-mailed Dropbox like we are told to but there is no reply from them.   I am going to need someone to talk me through the set-up process over the phone like most customer support departments provide.    What kind of website is this, anyway?

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: In Person Help in Setting Up Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

Larry1156 wrote:

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this monster going on my computer?

There's really not much to it. You download and install the Dropbox client on your computer and log in using the email address and password that you used to register your account. This will create a Dropbox folder on your computer. Any files you place in this folder will sync to your account online.

I have also e-mailed Dropbox like we are told to but there is no reply from them.

Don't rely on email. Make sure you open a ticket with Support.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

I am going to need someone to talk me through the set-up process over the phone

You won't get that level of service from Dropbox unless you pay for it. Phone support is only provided to Dropbox for Business/Enterprise customers. All others use the ticket system that I linked to above.

View solution in original post

Re: In-Person Help in Setting Up Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

Larry1156 wrote:
The Dropbox "app" downloaded to my computer twice, the installation initiated and the green bar ran left to right for 10 or 15 minutes and then stopped.   In its place was an error window, "installation failed."

Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software that you might be running, and try again. Also, make sure you're using the installation from the Dropbox client link that I posted above, and you're not installing it from an app store (like the Microsoft Store). The apps are not the same.

where will the "Dropbox" appear that their instructions tell me to "drag and drop" an outgoing file into?

It will create a Dropbox folder within your user profile, typically something like C:\Users\[your username]\Dropbox.

Will it appear on my Desktop?

There will be a shortcut to it on your Desktop that will lauch Dropbox if it's not running, or open the folder if it is.

If it isn't on my Desktop, there is no way that I can "drag and drop" anything to it.   Cut and paste, yes; drag and drop, no.

You don't need something to be on your desktop to drag and drop to it. Just open a window to it, or have a shortcut to it somewhere, and drag to either the open window of the shortcut.

You should probably learn the specific results of dragging and dropping during certain actions, so you're not surprised about how a file will react (within Dropbox or otherwise, it's all the same).

Rich
Super User II

Larry1156 wrote:

I now appear to have Dropbox on my computer in one fashion or another, but it isn’t where it is supposed to be.   It must be accessed by going to the lower right corner of the screen where the clock is located

That's just the location of the Dropbox application. It's the program that syncs your files. Your actual Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like any other. Clicking that icon and selecting Open Dropbox Folder is just one way to get to it. The folder is usually stored in your user profile, which would normally be C:\Users\[your username]\Dropbox. There's likely also a shortcut on your Desktop to the same location.

What happens next?

That depends on what you're expecting to happen. Dropbox is just a file synchronization service. It's meant to keep a copy of your files in-sync across multiple devices and the Dropbox servers online.

I suspect I wait until I am e-mailed or alerted by Dropbox that someone has put a file in the box, and then I go to my Dropbox and download the file which then appears in my Downloads folder?

No, not exactly. No one can just put files in your Dropbox without you allowing it first.

Don't think of Dropbox as an actual drop box, used where people drop things intended for you (yes, it can do that, but that's not its main purpose). If you're expecting people to be able to send you files, you or they will need to share a folder between you or you'll need to send them a file request (which acts like an actual drop box). If they initiate it, they will send you an email containing either a shared folder invitation or a share link to a file or folder for you to download.

Larry1156
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Rich,

From the frying pan into the fire, and just when I thought I had things understood enough to start using Dropbox at a very, very elementary level.    This is 10 times more complicated than I imagined in my worst nightmare.   Unless Dropbox customer service can get me up and going, then I am going to have no choice but to cancel my account if I can.    I will give them one more shot at it and then I'm gone.    I first started using IBM card sorting equipment in 1958, then IBM 360-20s and Univac Set 8s in the late 'sixties and finally PCs beginning in June 2000, but this Dropbox thing is the worst I have yet seen.   I will just have to get the researcher in Washington to send me the 600 Mb file of Library of Congress documents she is photographing for me either on a thumb drive or on CDs.    This is what I needed Dropbox for.

Nevertheless, thank you for trying to help me with this, Rich.    Dropbox really needs to set up a Step-by-Step set of instructions so the rest of the world can use their website.  

Larry1156

Rich
Super User II

Send your researcher a File Request.

Larry1156
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks for that, Rich.   I think I am good to go now, so if you want to close this thread please do so.   I ran a couple of tests with an outgoing file this afternoon and it worked, so I think an incoming file will work, too.   If I get into trouble again, I'll open a new thread.

Thanks again................

Larry1156

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

Larry1156 wrote:

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this monster going on my computer?

There's really not much to it. You download and install the Dropbox client on your computer and log in using the email address and password that you used to register your account. This will create a Dropbox folder on your computer. Any files you place in this folder will sync to your account online.

I have also e-mailed Dropbox like we are told to but there is no reply from them.

Don't rely on email. Make sure you open a ticket with Support.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

I am going to need someone to talk me through the set-up process over the phone

You won't get that level of service from Dropbox unless you pay for it. Phone support is only provided to Dropbox for Business/Enterprise customers. All others use the ticket system that I linked to above.

In-Person Help in Setting Up Dropbox

Larry1156
Helpful | Level 7
  Hi Rich,

An excellent, helpful, polite and comprehensive reply.   I will follow you instructions although I think I already tried to do the first part.   The Dropbox "app" downloaded to my computer twice, the installation initiated and the green bar ran left to right for 10 or 15 minutes and then stopped.   In its place was an error window, "installation failed."

Now, on the supposition that I somehow can get this software installed on my 2011 Dell Inspiron with Windows 10, where will the "Dropbox" appear that their instructions tell me to "drag and drop" an outgoing file into?   Will it appear on my Desktop?   If it isn't on my Desktop, there is no way that I can "drag and drop" anything to it.   Cut and paste, yes; drag and drop, no.

Thanks, and hoping to hear more from you,

Larry1156

Rich
Super User II

Larry1156 wrote:
The Dropbox "app" downloaded to my computer twice, the installation initiated and the green bar ran left to right for 10 or 15 minutes and then stopped.   In its place was an error window, "installation failed."

Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software that you might be running, and try again. Also, make sure you're using the installation from the Dropbox client link that I posted above, and you're not installing it from an app store (like the Microsoft Store). The apps are not the same.

where will the "Dropbox" appear that their instructions tell me to "drag and drop" an outgoing file into?

It will create a Dropbox folder within your user profile, typically something like C:\Users\[your username]\Dropbox.

Will it appear on my Desktop?

There will be a shortcut to it on your Desktop that will lauch Dropbox if it's not running, or open the folder if it is.

If it isn't on my Desktop, there is no way that I can "drag and drop" anything to it.   Cut and paste, yes; drag and drop, no.

You don't need something to be on your desktop to drag and drop to it. Just open a window to it, or have a shortcut to it somewhere, and drag to either the open window of the shortcut.

You should probably learn the specific results of dragging and dropping during certain actions, so you're not surprised about how a file will react (within Dropbox or otherwise, it's all the same).

Larry1156
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for your help and guidance with this.

-  I now appear to have Dropbox on my computer in one fashion or another, but it isn’t where it is supposed to be.   It must be accessed by going to the lower right corner of the screen where the clock is located, click and open “Show hidden icons” and there the Dropbox icon appears in the upper left corner.   When clicked, it says, “Dropbox 19.4.12  - Up to Date”.   Inside are 3 files I put in it myself yesterday by right clicking the file and under “Send To” clicking on “Dropbox”.   No dragging and dropping" was done.   There are also 8 to 10 unidentifiable .jpeg photos and will not open.   In the lower left corner of the icon it says “Open Dropbox folder”.   I clicked on it and the Dropbox folder opened.   Inside the folder were the same 3 files I put in it today but the .jpegs were gone.

What happens next?   I suspect I wait until I am e-mailed or alerted by Dropbox that someone has put a file in the box, and then I go to my Dropbox and download the file which then appears in my Downloads folder?   Have I got this right?    As for sending a file, I will cross that bridge later and read the instructions for this first to minimize the possibility of annoying you folks with more beginner-level questions.

Thanks again,

Larry1156

Rich
Super User II

Larry1156 wrote:

I now appear to have Dropbox on my computer in one fashion or another, but it isn’t where it is supposed to be.   It must be accessed by going to the lower right corner of the screen where the clock is located

That's just the location of the Dropbox application. It's the program that syncs your files. Your actual Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like any other. Clicking that icon and selecting Open Dropbox Folder is just one way to get to it. The folder is usually stored in your user profile, which would normally be C:\Users\[your username]\Dropbox. There's likely also a shortcut on your Desktop to the same location.

What happens next?

That depends on what you're expecting to happen. Dropbox is just a file synchronization service. It's meant to keep a copy of your files in-sync across multiple devices and the Dropbox servers online.

I suspect I wait until I am e-mailed or alerted by Dropbox that someone has put a file in the box, and then I go to my Dropbox and download the file which then appears in my Downloads folder?

No, not exactly. No one can just put files in your Dropbox without you allowing it first.

Don't think of Dropbox as an actual drop box, used where people drop things intended for you (yes, it can do that, but that's not its main purpose). If you're expecting people to be able to send you files, you or they will need to share a folder between you or you'll need to send them a file request (which acts like an actual drop box). If they initiate it, they will send you an email containing either a shared folder invitation or a share link to a file or folder for you to download.

Larry1156
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Rich,

From the frying pan into the fire, and just when I thought I had things understood enough to start using Dropbox at a very, very elementary level.    This is 10 times more complicated than I imagined in my worst nightmare.   Unless Dropbox customer service can get me up and going, then I am going to have no choice but to cancel my account if I can.    I will give them one more shot at it and then I'm gone.    I first started using IBM card sorting equipment in 1958, then IBM 360-20s and Univac Set 8s in the late 'sixties and finally PCs beginning in June 2000, but this Dropbox thing is the worst I have yet seen.   I will just have to get the researcher in Washington to send me the 600 Mb file of Library of Congress documents she is photographing for me either on a thumb drive or on CDs.    This is what I needed Dropbox for.

Nevertheless, thank you for trying to help me with this, Rich.    Dropbox really needs to set up a Step-by-Step set of instructions so the rest of the world can use their website.  

Larry1156

Rich
Super User II

Send your researcher a File Request.

Larry1156
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks for that, Rich.   I think I am good to go now, so if you want to close this thread please do so.   I ran a couple of tests with an outgoing file this afternoon and it worked, so I think an incoming file will work, too.   If I get into trouble again, I'll open a new thread.

Thanks again................

Larry1156

Phil H.14
Explorer | Level 3

You sound just like me. It's awful. I don't know how I got dropbox working when I started with it a couple of years ago, but I think they had real, live customer support then. It's all email now and you wait and wait and then you can't understand the answer some geek gives you. The last time I had a problem, I eventually got the help I needed and could understand via dropbox's email support, but it took several email exchanges. You might consider getting a general-support technician from Geek Squad or from the nerd down the street. I understand there are other dropbox-type backup/sharing services available, but you've already spent your money.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Larry1156 Helpful | Level 7
    Phil H.14 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?