cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: In a "mdworker quit unexpectedly" loop after turning on Smart Sync

In a "mdworker quit unexpectedly" loop after turning on Smart Sync

Kidhack
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ever since turning on Dropbox Smart Sync, Spotlight has been going nuts and using tons of CPU. The helper app "mdworker" is constantly crashing. Will report back after Dropbox finishes indexing all the Smart Sync files. 

Quit unexpectedly

PS. Funny you can't link Dropbox photos to the image uploader in this forum.

102 Replies 102

ERC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Thomas.

Thanks for the info.

After several weeks of getting nowhere I have actually gone to the more drastic lengths of totally re-installing MacOS and starting from scratch.

A painful process but I can confirm theat the problem has stopped occuring – for the time-being at least.

Thanks again for offering your support.
Cheers

s

Thomas C. G.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

hiding the dropbox cache folder from spotlight as posted earlier wasn't the solution... mdworker came back 😞

What worked temporarely for me was deleting the hidden .Spotlight-V100 folder on the root of my systemdisk (where dropbox stores its files as well). After a restart it took some time to rebuild the entire spotlight index, but mdworker didn't show up again and smart sync and searching in the dropbox worked like a charm... for about one day, then the nightmare was back.

So far: none of the many "solutions" posted here and on other forums worked. Since many many months now. Please, Dropbox, stop ignoring your customers, please?!?

Arthurk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I unlinked and relinked my dropbox and for a while it reduced the problem, but with the latest High Sierra update it's back with a vengeance. I thought smart sync was a blessing but it's turned into a curse. I'll have to seriously consider dropping dropbox (I've been a paying customer for years) as this is literally stopping me from working and has taken hours to fail to solve. Plus it's seriously irritating.

I know you are at the mercy of OS updates, like we all are to Google algorythms but please keep up and on top of these things.

Thanks

Need more support?