cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a "mdworker quit unexpectedly" loop after turning on Smart Sync

In a "mdworker quit unexpectedly" loop after turning on Smart Sync

Kidhack
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ever since turning on Dropbox Smart Sync, Spotlight has been going nuts and using tons of CPU. The helper app "mdworker" is constantly crashing. Will report back after Dropbox finishes indexing all the Smart Sync files. 

Quit unexpectedly

PS. Funny you can't link Dropbox photos to the image uploader in this forum.

102 Replies 102

RoseCampbell
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I had the same problem and fixed it by going into System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy. You can add an area that you do not want Spotlight to search. I added Dropbox and I have not had anymore mdworker system crashes and my system is much faster. 

If you need to search in your Dropbox, there is third-party software for that. 

Worked for me.

afonsopatrao
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having this issue with smartsync and High Sierra (10.13.6). I did what you said (unlink and link it back), but I also tried other solutions: rebuild spotlight; fixing system permissions; reinstalling MacOS. Nothing works: mdworker is constantly crashing, which makes "ReportCrash" process taking enormous CPU usage.

Maybe the problem got back woth your latest Dropbox release. Please find a sollution: I cannot work without spotlight making its job.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear you're still seeing this @afonsopatrao

As you've already done some troubleshooting, could you perform a clean, advanced re-install and let me know if the issue persists?

If it does, could I reach out to your Dropbox email address to work on this together? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

afonsopatrao
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, please. The problem keeps happening with smart sync. When I restart the computer, mdworker doesn't crash for some minutes. But as soon as I start to work on files, it crashes. And spotlight only works correctly with local downloaded files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for letting me know and sorry to hear this persists even after an advanced re-install @afonsopatrao.

I have just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools available. 

Whenever you get the chance, take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks so much!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

RafaelG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

doesnt work for me help !!!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear this @RafaelG. Have you tried any troubleshooting steps so far like re-installing the software on the affected device?

If the issue persists, could you post a screenshot of the exact error you see on your screen so we can investigate further? 

Thanks so much and welcome to our Community too Rafael!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ERC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi I too am having this problem.

I have been communicating with Dropbox Tech support for some time and now my problem has been escalated. Since then I have had no updates or contact for six days.

I really need to get this fixed. "mdworker quit unexpectedly" and "quicklookd quit unexpectedly while using the DropBoxQL plug in"

It's driving me bonkers and stopping me from working effectively.

Can someone help?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm sorry to hear you're facing this issue and thanks for flagging this with us @ERC.

I understand that you're in direct line with our advanced team and haven't heard from them for days so I've passed your comments on to your ticket and gave it a nudge so as to be prioritized.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation. 

PS: In the meantime, you could try re-indexing Spotlight and/or force quitting and relaunching Finder. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Thomas C. G.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

After struggling with this for weeks and trying all kind of possible solutions, I finally got rid of the error message. The trick on my system was, to exclude the Dropbox cache folder from spotlight searches. Bingo. 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Arthurk New member | Level 2
    Thomas C. G. Explorer | Level 4
    ERC New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?