cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a "mdworker quit unexpectedly" loop after turning on Smart Sync

In a "mdworker quit unexpectedly" loop after turning on Smart Sync

Kidhack
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ever since turning on Dropbox Smart Sync, Spotlight has been going nuts and using tons of CPU. The helper app "mdworker" is constantly crashing. Will report back after Dropbox finishes indexing all the Smart Sync files. 

Quit unexpectedly

PS. Funny you can't link Dropbox photos to the image uploader in this forum.

102 Replies 102

John_Cox
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This problem is still an issue, and I don't want to stop spotlight from indexing my Dropbox folder.

However I have removed the annoyance of the incessant dialog box by entering this command in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType none

The crash still occurs as I can see it in the console, but I am not shown a dialog box every time.

Thanks to this info: 

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/270610/stop-el-capitan-from-asking-to-report-to-apple-ever...

Turning the message into a notification did not wortk - but turning the reporter off did.

nancyp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue since turning on smartsync..

Is there really no solution to this yet?

kentaronyc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Has this been resolved? mdworker is throwing an error on PDF.mdimporter for me as well. 

kentaronyc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It seems as though mdworker is having a problem with files that aren't really there. 

http://justinh.org/2012/01/20/a-fix-for-os-x-if-your-mds-or-mdworker-processes-are-running-wild/

Leno M.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

SO the solution I found was to format the Mac. I deleted the Hard drive and reisntalled the OS. It no longer affects the Mac now. 

The process was restart the mac press Command key + R and enter recovry mode, disk utility, delete the hard drive by clicking erase and after exit and resintall OS. This solved it for me.

nancyp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
that seems a bit extreme - I'm not reformatting my Mac - this is a Dropbox issue - they really need to sort it out

Leno M.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I agree with you but after 10 months of no reply and many extras errors starting to appear it was the best solution I found.

BCIT
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can tell you that this issue happens consistently on multiple brand new machines that I have deployed, so I doubt very much that reformatting is a true solution for most people.

I've found that on many machines the crash report popup is just supressed, but you can still see them piling up if you go to the Console app and check the User Reports folder.

deviantintegral
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

How can I revert back to my pre-smart-sync configuration? It looks like I'd have to configure exclusions by hand all over again. Having Spotlight search my (synced) files is a huge reason I use dropbobx.

MarieRCH
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same problem here, (thanks to this forum I managed to identify that the issue was coming from Dropbox SmartSync) Have you sorted it yet??? It is quite unbearable. The only 'quick fix' I found is to leave the error message in the corner of my screen and at least it doesn't keep on popping up every 10 seconds... Surely we can agree this is not a solution. Please advise, I do not want to disable mdworker or Spotlight.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Arthurk New member | Level 2
    Thomas C. G. Explorer | Level 4
    ERC New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?