cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent Syncing in Shared Folder

Inconsistent Syncing in Shared Folder

LStacy
New member | Level 2

I use the desktop app (accessed through File Explorer) on my PC to share folders of items for business purposes. The last couple of weeks, this has been syncing inconsistently -- some days it will update with no issues, but other days (like today) I have to manually open dropbox, and THEN it will update. There doesn't seem to be any reason behind this, as I have space, my internet connection is rarely disrupted and, to my knowledge, my antivirus software is not interfering. This lack of syncing is consistently on my end, not the other person I'm sharing with. This inconsistency is frustrating for my colleague and I, as when I work on a file and it happens to not sync with updated information (and I don't realize this, since everything seems normal), my colleague then works on the same file at a different time without any of the changes I made to the file. 

Is there a way to make sure my files are updated when I leave them? And, more importantly, can I get my Dropbox to update consistently? 

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Inconsistent Syncing in Shared Folder

Walter
Dropboxer

No worries Stacy - we're always here to help!

That being said, what you last mention makes me think that you weren't running the desktop app when applying your changes and when you relaunched it, these finally synced.

In any case, note that you can verify if your files or changes have made it to our servers by going to our website at dropbox.com and checking the files themselves. 

Let me know if that makes sense!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @LStacy - how are you today?

At first, could you clarify some points for me?

1. What does your account's plan tab show in regards to your account's quota?

2. What is your desktop app reporting at the moment? Is it showing 'Up to date' or still syncing?   

Spoiler

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the exact message being displayed reads?

3. Have you rebooted your device since you first noticed this?

Thanks in advance!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LStacy
New member | Level 2

@Walter, I'm good, thanks. Hope you are as well!

1. I'm not entirely sure. How do I see this? I have a free account at the moment.

2. The desktop app (in the far right corner of the "Start" taskbar, bottom of the screen) actually wasn't there until I typed "Dropbox" into the Start menu (I'm calling this manually starting the program, but I don't know if that's the right way to describe it?), and then it popped up. I'm not sure if this means it's not syncinc/on if it's not there? When I hover over the icon, it shows "up to date" and the version (77.4.131). 

3. I did just reboot my computer; I shut it down at least 4x per week, at the end of the day. I manually started dropbox as described in #2 just a moment ago. 

Is it normal to need to open dropbox in order for it to sync? It seems to update/sync just fine once it's been opened. 

Thanks!

Walter
Dropboxer

In order for you to be fully synced across devices (and with your collaborators) you'll need to run the desktop app and work on the files you want within your Dropbox Folder. 

In addition, I'm sorry I forgot to put a direct link for you to check your account's quota; here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LStacy
New member | Level 2

Walter,

I save these files into the shared Dropbox folder, and open them out of it. I typically access these through File Explorer, however, rather than typing "Dropbox" into search/Start menu (it doesn't actually open a window, just pops up the icon in the taskbar as mentioned earlier). I have Dropbox set up as a Quick-Access menu item (viewed on the toolbar on the right of the window). I attached a photo for reference. 

I am close to full, but not full (2.15/2.25GB) -- does it sense the ceiling coming and automatically shut off auto-syncing? I have tried going into my account settings, but the app says it's already auto-syncing. 

ThanksCapture.JPG

Walter
Dropboxer

So you are working within your Dropbox Folder - thanks for clarifying this (just make sure to always run the desktop app).

Now, kindly note that if the changes you're making would put your account over its allocated quota, it's possible that you won't be able to edit (or upload) any more files until you get some additional space on your account.

To do this, you can:

1. Upgrade your account – check out www.dropbox.com/plans for other information.
  2. Increase your quota using referrals bonuses or other promotions.
  3. Leave any shared folders that put you over quota.
  4. Move files that don't need to sync out of your Dropbox folder.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LStacy
New member | Level 2

Walter,

I have already adopted this process of moving unnecessary files out of Dropbox to free up space, but these files are pretty small and aren't causing a storage overage. I appreciate the clarification, for sure.

I just can't really tell when a file will sync properly and when it won't, or if it has/hasn't, when I have saved it (through Dropbox) on my end. I always see the newest version of the file I altered if I reopen after saving (regardless if sync is working or not), but my coworker (when it doesn't sync) sees the old version. So, it seems to be saving on my end, but not actually saving for everyone. However, if I go and "open" dropbox, my computer tells me I just created/opened/altered a file that I'd worked on, say, yesterday, and thought had saved for everyone in the shared folder. So, if I'm understanding right, this means that it hadn't been syncing before.

I hope that makes sense... 

And thanks again. For your help and your patience!

Walter
Dropboxer

No worries Stacy - we're always here to help!

That being said, what you last mention makes me think that you weren't running the desktop app when applying your changes and when you relaunched it, these finally synced.

In any case, note that you can verify if your files or changes have made it to our servers by going to our website at dropbox.com and checking the files themselves. 

Let me know if that makes sense!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

LStacy
New member | Level 2

Walter,

That does make sense! 

Thanks for your time and help with this. I appreciate it!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?