cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing All of a sudden .. 2 days to sync!

Indexing All of a sudden .. 2 days to sync!

JB_1983
Explorer | Level 4

All of a sudden (Before the weekend) my dropbox started playing up, I have approx 500,000 files synced then it now wants to take so long to start, index and sync. It chews up 100% of my hardrive read speed, 30% of my CPU, 30% of my ram and no to little % of network or internet speed. My guess is its indexing from the start but taking its sweet time to do so.

So Im now into a full day of syncing and its only gotten through 20% of whatever the hell its doing.

I have already checked my Internet speed, 46mps down, 5mps up.

I have already checked the preferences and the bandwidth was set to "dont limit" for both up and down speed.

Any ideas thoughts or help appreciated.

12 Replies 12

Re: Indexing All of a sudden .. 2 days to sync!

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @JB_1983, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

To make sure we're on the same page though, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon that's on your system tray/menu bar?

I'd also recommend checking this article out in case any of the suggestions listed help. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

owenevans
Explorer | Level 3

Apolgies for hijackijng a thread, but I have pretty much the same problem. I've not checked the CPU, but the dropbox app seems to be trying to sync pretty much everything, even though nothing has changed. It is busy creating confilcated copies of photos in folder I haven't touched for ages, and is saying it has 2 days left to sync.

I've stopped the app, as something is wrong and I don't want to end up with loads of conflicted copies. Screen shot of the app window below:

191125_Dropbox_Sync_Error.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @owenevans, welcome aboard! 

Many processes on your computer look at files that you may have not manually opened and to complete these requests Dropbox tries to or syncs the files. 

For this reason, is it possible you have a third party app interacting with the files, resulting in this behavior?

You can check where the conflicted copies come from the device name outlined (computer's name conflicted copies) and then temporarily disabling/closing third party apps - maybe that will do the trick.

Let me know how it goes and don't hesitate to nudge me if you come to a dead end. Thanks!

PS. I removed some personal information included your screenshot for security and privacy purposes as per our Community Guidelines:slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JB_1983
Explorer | Level 4

Its like it is syncing for the first time, it is slowly getting through the total files, but ever so slowly. I would of assumed it would upload and or index faster than what it is doing.

At the moment it tops the list for CPU usage and Ram usage. but no network usage i.e. its not uploading propoerly, which tells me it might be indexing?

Capture2.JPG

I dont think I have changed anythign recently and or added any third party apps. Is there a easy way to check this?

Capture.JPG

JB_1983
Explorer | Level 4

Further more with some investigation via task manager I have noticed the search indexer for windows is always towards the top of the list for CPU usage, is it somethign to do with Dropbox and windows which is enabling the indexing and resyncing to happen?

Capture3.JPG

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @JB_1983, thanks for nudging me here and for the screenshots - they definitely help!

Although I can't be sure if the two tasks are related, have a look at this article which lists some suggestions on how to tackle high CPU/RAM usage. 

Also, from what I can see from your second screenshot, it seems like the desktop app is just indexing. Have the numbers gone down by any chance since yesterday? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

JB_1983
Explorer | Level 4

I have chatted to a online tech support and they suggested I reinstall the app. I have done that via thier instrcutions and have started a new fresh install with the old folder renamed, so I will leave it over night as it is downloading everything from online and we will see how it goes. The files are now reducing which is good, where as before they seem to be going up and down.

I would like to keep this open though as I do not know if it will fix it yet, I will leave some feedback if it does

Lusil
Dropboxer

Sounds like a plan, @JB_1983. Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

owenevans
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil ,

Thanks for your reply. I've checked and there are currently only two machines linked to the dropbox account. The laptop is working fine, and there were no problems with dropbox on that machine earlier today. 

The confilcted copies are coming from the same machine that is trying to Sync all the files (thanks for anonymising the image btw 🙂 ). I've tried disabliing other applciations that might be reading the files, apart from avast anti virus. It doesn't seem to be making any difference, and the machine is still trying to upload and download around 165k files, almost none of which have changed recentyl. It's also using 20% of the cpu, making the machine hard to work on. I could leave it syncing overnight, but from the current behaviour, I'm conderned there would be thousands of conflicted copies, which I'd rather not deal with!

It is worth trying to unlink and relink the machine, or re-install the dropboax app?

Many Thanks

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

owenevans Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?