cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing after reinstall, can't upload files

Indexing after reinstall, can't upload files

Marcelo L.
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox kept crashing, so I turned off "advanced" in new releases and reinstalled it, so I'm running the current version of DBX, not an advanced beta.

Because of this constant crashing and the need to reinstall, Dropbox is now re-indexing 1.6 million files, but it does so at a snail's pace.

Let me define snail's pace: it's indexed 30,000 files in 12 hours. At this pace, it'll take another 26 days to index everything.

Meanwhile, any new content doesn't get synched. 

So, 26 days of having an essentially bricked Dropbox that doesn't sync new files.

I just created 6 GB of content I need backed up. 

How do I tell DBX to adopt the existing index, or index faster, so it can move onto synching again?

I know that as a work-around I can manually upload the 6 GB through the web interface but if I keep creating content in different folders, which I must, that's completely unusable for me. Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Re: Indexing after reinstall, can't upload files

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Marcelo L., thanks for reaching out to our Community today!

Have you tried increasing how much internet bandwidth your Dropbox application is using, to try and speed up syncing?

Also, if you have that many files in your Dropbox (more than 300k), I would actually suggest you use selective sync, to see if it helps. 

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Marcelo L.
Explorer | Level 3

Facepalm.

This isn't a SYNC issue, it's an INDEXING issue.

All my files were synched before I was forced to reinstall DBX.

Now it's REINDEXING all the files, 1.6 million of them.

The app is using 0 MBps because it's not synching anything, it's INDEXING.

Two different things.

FWIW I have unlimited bandwidth in the app and 200 MBps up but as I said this is not relevant.

Would be delightful if Dropbox actually understood the issue before replying. I had this same problem with Dropbox support, which was useless, so I came here to the forum.

Thanks for the help!

Marcelo L.
Explorer | Level 3

Another 12 hours went by, another 20,000 files indexed, 1,547,000 files left. 

Can anyone at Dropbox help?

Marcelo L.
Explorer | Level 3

Update:

Now Dropbox has devolved into starting up and shutting down.

The system tray icon is gone. But the process is still running in the background (both Dropbox and Dropbox Update).

Procmon shows a bunch of activity, with the operations CreateFile, CloseFile, QueryStandardInformationFile, etc... but I no longer get the systray icon and can no longer tell if INDEXING is happening or not.

By the way, before this happened I was down to 0.6 million files left to index, so it progressed faster than the initial slow pace indicated.

And before you ask, no, I don't have any sort of firewall, antivirus, or anything else. I've been a Dropbox user for over 2 decades at this point and this is the first time I'm having these sorts of problems.

Any help appreciated.

(I tried Dropbox support via email, but it's been radio silent.)

Marcelo L.
Explorer | Level 3

Update:

I uninstalled Dropbox, deleted all the registry keys, folders in Program Files, etc., and reinstalled.

Now indexing 1.859 million files.

Still zero response from Dropbox support.

You'd think a company that's on track to generate $1 billion of free cash flow could afford to hire tech support folks? I've asked Drew, let's see what he says.

Now it's back to the waiting game and hoping this thing doesn't go back to crashing again.

Cheers.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Marcelo L. Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?