cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing and syncing taking forever

Indexing and syncing taking forever

mtn
Explorer | Level 3

I've used Dropbox for several years and been very happy with its responsiveness so recently decided to upgrade to a Dropbox Plus plan and move the bulk of my Cloud files (300 Gbs) over from OneDrive. Unfortunately, despite having a very fast internet connection (>100 Mbps) and upgrading to a faster processor, every time I log in my Dropbox folder is starting, syncing and/or indexing for hours.  I've read through the other postings on this site and tried a variety of the suggestions without success--e.g., logging in/out of Dropbox app, unlinking/relinking accounts, reinstalling desktop app, changing Bandwidth limits.  Although I see several of the discussions are marked "Solved" despite people writing back that their problems persist. How fast should I expect syncing and indexing to take?  Any further suggestions what to do?  

9 Replies 9

Re: Indexing and syncing taking forever

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @mtn - welcome to our Community!

At first, thanks for letting me know all the troubleshooting you have done so far - it really helps us save time :wink:

Only thing I can think of at the moment -as we don't have any similar reports lately- is that you might be running a beta version of our application (these can be the culprits behind such hiccups sometimes).

As a matter of fact I noticed a similar behavior lately when using our 81.3.190 version which is an experimental build of our desktop app  these are denoted by the second row of digits - the '3' portion in this case signifies a beta build).

I managed to resolve it by moving to the stable version of our app in no time though (you'll just have to opt-out of early releases under your account's general settings first).  Here's how: 

1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
  2. Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Do let me know if that's the case and how my suggestion works out for you please. If not, let me know some additional information such as the OS you use (screenshots of the status of the app) etc. Thank you in advance!

PS: I just realized I use parentheses a lot - sorry for that :nerd:

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mtn
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks so much for your quick response.  I checked my settings and hadn't ticked off beta versions.  Attached is a screen shot with the app status and you can also see the DB version.  My OS is Windows 10 Home version 1903. Roughly 50% of the files have yet to download so no way is it over in 42 seconds. 

DB screenshot 2019-09-18 20.29.34.png

mtn
Explorer | Level 3

Now I see the version you mentioned is the one I have so wil trya prior one now.

mtn
Explorer | Level 3

Upgraded to v81.4.195 and still going incredibly slow. Over 24 hrs and not complete.  Thoughts?

Walter
Dropboxer

Just one last thing to mention here is this:

Can you set your bandwidth limits to 'No limit' (if not already) as a test and let me know if you're still noticing this behavior?

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/faster-sync 

Keep me posted on the results please @mtn!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mtn
Explorer | Level 3

Tried that and it didn't work. Also checked the upload speed and tried to limit below that because there was another reference that the speed would get tethered if too high and that didn't work either. Other suggestions?  I'm reading many posts indicating it takes days to weeks to sync. That seems a bit much. Also, if DB can't sync quickly with >300K files, why do they offer Tbs worth of space (apologize, but clearly I'm frustrated).  

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information and giving this a try for me @mtn!

At this point, I'll need to take a look at your device's logs so we'll need to take this to email where I'll be able to drill into your account's specifics and assist further.

Let me know if it would be OK with you if I reached out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance and have a lovely week!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mtn
Explorer | Level 3

Absolutely. That would be fine. Will wait to hear from you.

Walter
Dropboxer

I just sent you a brief message so we can dig a little deeper into this issue @mtn.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your email's inbox and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?