cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial set up

Initial set up

westewart
New member | Level 2

I just started with Dropbox, and it moved everything around on my desktop.  This is a disaster.  i need to undo it.  How can I get things back the way they were?  Please help.

6 Replies 6

Re: Initial set up

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @westewart; welcome aboard!

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature upon installing our desktop app on your computer.

In that case, you can follow these steps to disable it completely.

Let me know if this helped!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

westewart1
Explorer | Level 3

I may have been successful at removing the linked computer.  The problem now, is there is a system folder called Dropbox on the computer.  The size is 4.33  GB.  It says it is in a certain location, but I am not able to see that location.  I can go to that location, but it does not appear there.  I uninstalled dropbox, so I'm puzzled why it is still on the computer.  There are many files inside that folder.  I want everything dropbox gone.  It's crazy having two desktops, one is normal and one is dropbox, on my computer.  Anytime I save something to desktop, I don't know if it's in the normal desktop or the dropbox desktop that I can't find.  The only way I can find files in the dropbox desktop is to use the Windows search box for the file name.  There they are.  How do I liberated from the dropbox scourge?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @westewart1, when you uninstall the desktop app, the Dropbox folder becomes like any other folder on your computer. 

In other words, you get to keep the Dropbox folder, but it stops syncing to your account, and you can delete it without affecting your account.

Just to make sure though, did you turn computer backup off before uninstalling the desktop app?

Are the Downloads/Desktop/Documents files that were added to your Dropbox folder back to their original place?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

westewart1
Explorer | Level 3

No, I am not able to save anything to the desktop as I did before DropBox highjacked my computer. 

Now, instead of saving files to 

C:\Users\acrfr\Desktop 

like it should, it saves to this mysterious, unchangeable path

C:\Users\acrfr\Dropbox\My PC (DESKTOP-QO0AKAA)\Desktop

Ed

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey Ed; happy Monday!

I'm sorry to jump in here again, I just wanted to clarify if you did indeed disable the computer backup feature using these steps before you uninstalled the desktop application from your computer. 

If you did follow the steps mentioned in the relevant documentation, you would get two options, one of them being "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" and the other one "Leave content in Dropbox". 

If you choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac, the files and folders you stopped backing up can be found in their original folders on your computer. 

In case you choose Leave content in Dropbox, new files you add to those folders will save to their original folders on your computer, but the files and folders you previously backed up to Dropbox with computer backup will remain in your Dropbox account.

As you noticed, on your computer, they’ll be accessible by shortcuts, in their original folders, called “My files in Dropbox”. 

I hope this helps to some extent and let us know what you find. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

westewart1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I don't know the answer to your question.  what I do no is this:

1. There is no drop box on the critical computer.  I have another computer 3 feet away, and from that second computer I installed dropbox so I could unlink the critical computer.  I cannot afford to have dropbox delete anything else from the critical computer.

2. I am not able to save anything to the normal desktop on the critical computer.  Everything is saved onto a dropbox path.  This has created a backup crisis, and yes I use the word crisis, because my iDrive is not backing up any of the work being done since the dropbox highjack.  I used drop box almost daily a few years ago on a mac, but something with the fuctionality has changed, or dropbox for Windows is different, resulting in my losing all trust in dropbox unless I could get a support tech on the phone as I set it up.

3. I could do a full restore back to factory on the critical computer, but that takes a ton of time to reset up.

4. I need help.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?