cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Deleted Everything

Install Deleted Everything

gloriousamok
Explorer | Level 3

So I just installed a new Dropbox account today, and it synched itself to my laptop and cleared everything off it. All my business and client files, everything that's ever been on my computer is now deleted, and stored only on Dropbox. And it won't let me move anything back because it says i'm already over the account size limit and it won't let me remove anything unless I pay for the upgrade.

How do I get my life back? 

~ Five Minute Dropbox Customer

5 Replies 5

Re: Install Deleted Everything

Brucebrad
New member | Level 2

I'm just trying Dropbox for the first time too. This default install feature is very annoying. Your files are probably still on your computer, but are now in the Dropbox folder.

In my case (on Windows 10) I only moved the Documents folder. The solution was to find the documents folder in Explorer, right-click, then properties, then choose the Location tab. Click on Restore Default. If you've also moved the Desktop, I'm guessing a similar process will work for that.

gloriousamok
Explorer | Level 3

I managed to get my old files back, but now my brand new Dropbox account is already overfull because it copied my entire hard drive, and they won't let me delete any files unless I upgrade. How am I supposed to manage/delete items from my free account? I unlinked my account from my device, but no change. 

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @gloriousamok; I'm sorry to jump in, but I was just wondering if you're still having issues with this.

In case you do, please send us a screenshot of any error messages you might be getting so we can advise further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LeanneHayes
New member | Level 2

Help please! I installed Dropbox and it started moving all my files and a popup said if I delete I will lose my files on my computer. I just wanted to try this to send my kids a video

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @LeanneHayes; thanks for joining our discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues.

Could you please provide some additional information in order for us to advise further? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    LeanneHayes New member | Level 2
    gloriousamok Explorer | Level 3
    Brucebrad New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?