cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install after factory reset of laptop

Install after factory reset of laptop

Jenonnet
New member | Level 2

Hi, after a factory reset on my laptop, I now have two Dropbox folders with sub-folders, but neither of them have any of my photos in them. I have uninstalled Dropbox, but the two sets of Dropbox folders are still there. How can I get rid of them and what's happened to the photos that were supposed to have been uploaded to my Dropbox?
Also, I keep getting messages telling me my Dropbox is nearly full, but there isn't anything in it and hasn't been for a few, weeks. Can anyone please? Thanks.

19 Replies 19

Re: Install after factory reset of laptop

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @Jenonnet; thanks for joining our Community!

I'm sorry to ask, but how exactly did you upload your files in the first place?

Can you also let me know if you can see any sign of your missing files in your deleted files page or the events page?

When you say you uninstalled the desktop app from your computer, did you follow these steps or another process perhaps? 

In regards to your available space, can you take a look at your account's plan tab and let us know what is reported there?

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jenonnet_
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, sorry for the delay, the website wouldn't let me get access to the community. After logging in I told me I needed to update my Profile, but my profile is complete and didn't need updating and when I put my username in the box, it said I couldn't have that as it was already in use! ....... Of course it was, by me!!  So I've had to tweak my username in order to get onto here and read your reply.

To answer your questions Walter, my files/photos were uploaded to Dropbox via my mobile. It was set to automatically upload all camera photos, files, documents, screenshots and videos from my mobile to my Dropbox into the relevant folders.

After I had to set my laptop back to factory settings, it wiped all the programmes that were installed by me, that included Dropbox. Once it had finished I started the job of installing my programmes again, including Dropbox.

I have solved the problem of double Dropbox and folders, as I found that one set was from the Quick Start menu, which I never had showing on the old setup of my laptop, so I just deleted them. I now have one Dropbox with folders, but the folders aren't the same as the ones on my Dropbox page on the Internet and although my mobile says it's uploading photos to Dropbox, they're not showing in my Camera Uploads folder in my Dropbox online. Where are they going and why have I got different folders online to what I have on my laptop?  🤥

Walter
Dropboxer
It seems that you have two different Dropbox accounts under separate email addresses @Jenonnet_.

Could that be the case here?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jenonnet_
Explorer | Level 4

As I explained in my last reply, I had to put Jenonnet_ in the complete profile box to be able to get into the community page, it wouldn't let me in with Jenonnet, it kept telling me someone already had that, but it was me that had it and it still wouldn't let me in.

I'm completely confused now and my photos are going somewhere, according to my mobile they are being uploaded to Dropbox, but they aren't appearing on my Dropbox folder on my laptop.

Don't know where my photos are going or how to get them into my folders.

Walter
Dropboxer
This makes me think that you're using two Dropbox accounts associated with different email addresses of yours @Jenonnet_.

If that's the case indeed, can you try logging into both of them using separate incognito windows and let me know if you were able to find your files? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Jenonnet_
Explorer | Level 4
I only have one Dropbox account, I've never registered another email address with Dropbox. The Jenonnet_ is what I had to put in the box that said "complete profile' on the Dropbox site, as it wouldn't let me access the community page and it wouldn't accept my user ID of Jenonnet, it kept telling me to pick another as that was in use...... If course it was in use, by me! So I don't know what's happened there as I've only used one email all the years I've had Dropbox.
This has never happened before when I've reset my laptop to factory settings, it's so strange.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @Jenonnet_, generally, each Dropbox account is associated with a unique email address. 

If you were asked to create a new user profile on the Dropbox Community, it means that you were signed in to an account with another email address. 

Could you have a look at your General tab online and on the desktop app's Account tab to find if you've logged into the same email as before?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Jenonnet_
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

I've checked on my Dropbox app and it has my gmail address, but I can't find anything anywhere online that shows my email address. 

As I've never used another email address with Dropbox, so I can't see where it would log me in with a different one.

When logged in as Jenonnet, with my gmail address, there was a message that said "Complete Profile" with a window for my username, but when I put Jenonnet in, it said I couldn't have that as it was already in use...... it was in use, by me, which is why I had put it into the window, but it didn't like it.

As I'd tried numerous times to log in with my usual details and wasn't getting anywhere, I had to put my username in with an underscore at the end, then it let me get onto the Community page to access my messages. I can't understand why it did that, but it was the only way I could access my post and replies.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Generally, you can find the email address you used to login online by going to the General tab

Could you also look through the inbox of other email addresses to see if you received any sort of Dropbox notification?

If you do find one, this means that the email you're looking through has been used to create an account. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Jenonnet_ Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?