cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install dropbox on an external disk

Install dropbox on an external disk

Bernard C.2
New member | Level 1

5 Replies 5

Re: Install dropbox on an external disk

Mark
Super User II

You cant I'm afraid. It is not supported. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Alexis G.1
Super User

Not possible. Dropbox is not compatible with external hard drives, USB drives or network shares (file server shares, NAS shares, etc)

Daniel G.71
New member | Level 1

What if you mapped the external drive and gave it a drive letter.  I have two HDD on my computer.  My storage drive has its own drive letter and that is where my Dropbox is.  If your external drive is left plugged in and keeps the same drive letter, if you already have Dropbox installed, you could open properties>shortcut>Target and change the target to a folder on the external.

I haven't tried this to test.  But in theory I believe it would work because I was able to put my Dropbox folder on my second hard drive.

~Daniel

Mark
Super User II

But in theory I believe it would work because I was able to put my Dropbox folder on my second hard drive.

Second internal ones work. 

External dont and networked usually won't. 

The issue is data loss. If the network letter isn't available when Dropbox connects, or, changes, or, drops off then Dropbox can see this as a mass-deletion and wipe your data. When the drive reconnects it does the same again. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Daniel G.71
New member | Level 1

Touché, A changing or disappearing drive would shoot a big hole in my theory.

Thanks;

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daniel G.71 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Alexis G.1 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?