cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install dropbox program to different drive

Install dropbox program to different drive

Evert_k
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to choose your own installation location for the dropbox program? My OS drive will otherwise drown (seems like 60Gb is not enough for only windowss 7). Or do I need to switch to a different cloud service?

Yes I know how to move the sync folder, that is quite easy (and I now how to use google), I am not interested in that, I want to change the program files.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Jongcruz, welcome to our forum! 

Our app is capable of moving your Dropbox folder to a new location, including a different physical drive. However, the file system on that drive must support extended attributes. Have a look here for more info.

Cheers

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Hi Evert_k

You can use the advance install to move the Dropbox *folder* (ie. the one being sync'd) to another drive, however, you cannot move the installation folder I'm afraid. It will automatically default to the Programs folder.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Evert_k
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply, seems like I have leave dropbox for now. I even tried to find older versions to see if they still had that option and update aftwards but I wasn't succesfull.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Evert_k, welcome to our forum! 

@Mark is right. You can also move the Dropbox folder after it has been installed, by using our desktop app’s built-in tool

I can confirm your suspicion that a 60GB drive, realistically, is too small for Windows. I’m curious though, as to how moving to another cloud storage service will help. Are their desktop applications more light weight than ours?! 

If you don’t necessarily need our desktop app installed, you can just work with our web interface. That way, you can uninstall our app, and free up some drive space. 

If the Dropbox folder is the actual issue (and not the space used by our app’s installation files) moving it to another drive will do the trick. You can also use our Selective Sync feature to sync only folders you want to your computer, while having everything available online. 

I hope this helps. Let me know when you get the chance. 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

JeroUK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi @Sanchez

I have the same problem - smaller SSD OS drive, large internal data and non-OS install drive.  It's Dropbox's install size on this drive that's the problem.

I've done a re-install which has reduced the footprint temporarily, but I suspect it will shortly grow again as DB files away operational data.

The only two programs I've noticed so far that *insist* on installing on C: are Dropbox and Google Chrome. It's a real PITA for me and presumably others with this (not uncommon) set up.

The option to install to a specific internal drive is, IMO, essential. If you want to throw up a ton of caveats at the point of install saying "Don't install to an external/removable drive" then please, by all means do, but please let us choose.

Cheers

CGardner51
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Some what connected to my prior post is the issue of an initial install.   My desktop system was configured with a 250G C drive which is basically used for OS and application software installs.   The D drive has 500G which is used for user data even to the extent of movie the OS files for that to the D drive.   When you do the initial install, it does not even prompt you for a drive or directory location.   It immediately starts loading it to the C drive even when it would not all fit on that drive.   So like nearly all other software in the world, the install process should prompt you for a location (showing the default).   Its clear you have a link path and hold on to that location.    My new system is going to have a will have a SSD drive for OS and app exec's only and the D drive will be the 1-2 T drive.   improves performance for the OS related activities and no place to write user folders.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @JeroUK

As per your request, kindly note that currently this option is not available, though I understand that you'd like to avoid installing Dropbox on your C:\ drive altogether, so I'll make sure to pass your comments along to the team. 

You may keep in mind though for the time being, that you could save up some space by clearing the Dropbox cache & applying Selective Sync locally on your device. 

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need more assistance! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

JeroUK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for your clear response.

If I could afford a larger SSD drive to run off, that would be great 🙂  ... but that's not an option sadly 😞

I sincerely hope the dev team take this on board. It's an ongoing frustration and as far (as my research shows) an unnecessary restriction that is, looking at the many posts about this very subject for both Dropbox and Chrome, winding up a lot of customers.

Cheers

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @JeroUK

I can clearly see your point, since space limitations may prevent users from using the app altogether. 

I have to admit that it's a popular feature request & it has already been passed as feedback up the ladder. 
I appreciate your constructive & informative remarks here, I’ll make sure these are promptly transferred to our team of experts for further consideration. 

Of course, we’re always here for you if you need help. 
Hope you have a great weekend ahead!

@CGardner51 I have moved your thread here, since there is already an open discussion on the topic]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

CGardner51
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Too add just a bit to the issue of usb drives.  I have used usb drives for many years.  One is on my router as a access point drive and a system backup drive (dont use it now that I have dropbox).   One is directly on my desktop system as a database test place.   Never had an issue or a non-recoverable read/write error.

Also when i created a dropbox folder recently on my 1T drive it started out as drive D on my tiny laptop.  then I added a password protection to the drive.   That operation had the net effect of pushing the dropbox to drive E and the password exec's on drive D.   When I started up dropbox, it said drop box folder unable to be accessed and then prompted me for a new location.   I browsed over to E, selected the E drive and (bada bing bada boom 😉 ), dropbox went on its marry way.   So some place in your code it kinda already does this location selection.

Also due to a surge a few months ago by TimeWarner carrier through the controller box of TWC,  the surge took out parts of my old router and my desktop systems ethernet connection.   My desktop is running with a usb to ethernet adapter connection to the outside world.    (until I get that new system a friend is putting together for me)..  Plus that connection works just as fast as I pay for 220 down and 23up speed)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    Jongcruz New member | Level 2
    Vyacheslav New member | Level 2
    nikkil New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?