cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install dropbox program to different drive

Install dropbox program to different drive

Evert_k
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to choose your own installation location for the dropbox program? My OS drive will otherwise drown (seems like 60Gb is not enough for only windowss 7). Or do I need to switch to a different cloud service?

Yes I know how to move the sync folder, that is quite easy (and I now how to use google), I am not interested in that, I want to change the program files.

19 Replies 19

nikkil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly before I cancel my newly paid dropbox and move on to some other service.  I bought a new laptop.  It has a small SSD C drive and a 2 TB E drive.  All of my files need to be in the E drive because there isn't room in the C drive.  I want all of these files stored on dropbox.  Because dropbox can only be installed in the C drive, I can't have my files uploaded to you?  I'm not willing to be selective.  I want all of my files up there.  I just paid $99 so I could get my files up there.

nikkil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can't seem to find how to move this on the desktop app?  When I click on the dropbox icon, it only goes to the Windows File Explorer.  There are no "built-in tools"?  I can't have the files on my small SSD C drive.  They have to be in the 2 TB "E drive" so that is where dropbox needs to be and in response to the suggestions to this person - I'm not willing to be selective and the whole point of having the dropbox account for my needs to is backup every single file I own, immediately, not manually one file at a time to the website.  I'm not sharing a file with a co-worker, I'm saving my files in case the computer crashes.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

nikkil wrote:

I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly ...

You're not.

Because dropbox can only be installed in the C drive, I can't have my files uploaded to you?

The Dropbox application can only be installed on the C: drive, but the Dropbox folder, where your data resides, can be on another drive. The application is the part that handles the syncing of your files, among other things, and this will always install to your system drive. The Dropbox data folder can be moved to a different drive during installation of the Dropbox app (Advanced Options) or from within Preferences if it's already installed.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

nikkil wrote:

When I click on the dropbox icon, it only goes to the Windows File Explorer.

Not the Dropbox icon on your desktop. The Dropbox icon in your system tray (near your clock).

nikkil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you, I never got an "advanced options" option. It just installed it.

nikkil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you! I never even thought to look there. It seems like if you click on a program, it should give you the options no matter where you go click on it.

Vyacheslav
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi, i have the same issue. But disk space is not so important in my case. I suspect that if dropbox is installed to C: drive and sync folder is on 😧 drive the following problem can take place. Let's imagine one day disk 😧 will became nonfunctional and will not show up in the OS which is in the C: drive. The software will not detect the folder to sync and decide that folder is empty and delete all data on the server and i will LOSE ALL my data because disk d: is over and server became empty. Is my suspicion is wrong?

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Vyacheslav, welcome to our forum! 

In the event that the Dropbox app cannot find the Dropbox folder, it will not delete your online files. If the Dropbox folder is available for the app to access, then if files are missing from that folder, they will be removed from your online account. 

Keep in mind that if you accidentally delete files or folders, you can recover them yourself online, or you can contact our support team for assistance. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Jongcruz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I try to move the folder location to the D drive it says "The destination drive is incompatible with dropbox" .......So then????? Guys the software used to be great SOOOOO, why in the world you decided to make those clumsy changes like only auto drive C install and now this......any help????? Let me know to see if I keep our company subscription.

By the way I just find out GOOGLE DRIVE let me move my files to my D drive without any issue no like dropbox.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Jongcruz, welcome to our forum! 

Our app is capable of moving your Dropbox folder to a new location, including a different physical drive. However, the file system on that drive must support extended attributes. Have a look here for more info.

Cheers

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    Jongcruz New member | Level 2
    Vyacheslav New member | Level 2
    nikkil New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?