cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation error 0x80070057 fix?

Installation error 0x80070057 fix?

Bzrk3r
Explorer | Level 3

I can't access my dropbox files directly from my desktop but i can view them when i click on 'View on dropbox.com'. get the error code above when i try to use desktop link. i also cannot view mp4 files or see all files at once so i must check each individual one and start again at the top of the list. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Installation error 0x80070057 fix?

Rich
Super User II

@Bzrk3r wrote:

there's also another issue thats bothering me. I cant view the mp4 files becuase it says it cant view archieved files but theres only one file, not sure how to fix...

You're trying to preview a file that's within another file. In this case, you're trying to view an MP4 file that'ss inside of an RAR compressed archive. Dropbox can't preview files within archives. You need to extract the file on your computer before you'll be able to view it. That can't be done on the Dropbox website.

Looking at your screenshot, it looks like you've associated RAR files with the Dropbox executable, which won't get you anywhere because Dropbox can't open files. Find the file in Windows Explorer and right-click on it. Select Open with and see what applications are listed. You'll need something like WinRAR or 7Zip to open it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @Bzrk3r, could you please provide some additional information on this? For example:
  • Are you able to access the Dropbox folder on your hard drive at all?
  • Do you receive this error when you try to access specific files?
A screenshot (without any personal info) would be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bzrk3r
Explorer | Level 3

Lusil

I cannot acess anything other files than PNG or .gifs.

From my desktop, i use file explorer to open dropbox. i want to access a RAR file

Annotation 2019-04-12 102819.png

but anytime i try to click on it, i get this message. im not sure what i did wrong...

Annotation 2019-04-12 102525.png

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me, @Bzrk3r

Can you try using a third party app to extract the RAR file and see if that does the trick?

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bzrk3r
Explorer | Level 3

I'm not sure what you mean by third party apps, is there any you recommend? 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey again @Bzrk3r

Although I’m not able to recommend any specific third party apps, you’ll be able to find some suggestions if you browse the internet a bit. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Bzrk3r
Explorer | Level 3

there's also another issue thats bothering me. I cant view the mp4 files becuase it says it cant view archieved files but theres only one file, not sure how to fix...

Rich
Super User II

@Bzrk3r wrote:

You're trying to preview a file that's within another file. In this case, you're trying to view an MP4 file that'ss inside of an RAR compressed archive. Dropbox can't preview files within archives. You need to extract the file on your computer before you'll be able to view it. That can't be done on the Dropbox website.

Looking at your screenshot, it looks like you've associated RAR files with the Dropbox executable, which won't get you anywhere because Dropbox can't open files. Find the file in Windows Explorer and right-click on it. Select Open with and see what applications are listed. You'll need something like WinRAR or 7Zip to open it.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Bzrk3r Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?