cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation fails silently on windows 10

Installation fails silently on windows 10

Martin E.3
New member | Level 1

I have a fresh installation of windows 10 (no update) and tried to install the current stable version of Dropbox (3.8.8).

During the installation, the "downloading" window of the installer suddenly disappears and nothing else happens.
There are various Dropbox and Dropbox Update processes visible in Task Manager. After a while, only 1 Dropbox process remains.

There is no tray icon, opening Dropbox via Start Menu simply spawns a new Dropbox process, I still have the "Install" option when I visit the Dropbox website.
The C:/Programs folder contains a Dropbox folder, as do both %appdata% and %appdatalocal%. There are no crash reports in any of these folders, though (there's one 0KB crashreport.txt and a couple of binary files).

When trying to uninstall, the uninstaller hangs. It spawns a dropbox process which appears to do nothing and stays that way for 30min+.
I then killed the dropbox process, which let the uninstaller complete, although files remained in C:/Program Files. I manually removed all those, all files an %appdata(local)%, all registry keys in HKCU/Software and even the scheduled tasks.
Re-installation did not work, same behavior as original installation.

I tried the newest experimental build (3.9.36), didn't work either. Same behavior.

What could I do to install Dropbox? Is there a particular build that works on Windows 10?
Where could I find logs or crash reports?

14 Replies 14

Re: Installation fails silently on windows 10

Anthony Z.2
New member | Level 2

DropBoxInstaller.exe (645kb) consistently crashes Windows Explorer on Win 10.

Benjamin S.14
New member | Level 1

Sounds like the same problem I'm seeing. I also can't get it to work and I've only found a few similar complaints in this community which seem to be similar.

Harry B.14
New member | Level 1

I had dropbox working on Win10.  But then I ran a fresh win10 install.  I tried to re-install Dropbox on Win 10.  All I get is a silent fail.  No warning no logs.... very strange - very stressed!!

Martin E.3
New member | Level 1

Well, for all who have the same problem I have good news and bad news:

Good news is, dropbox now works on my windows 10 system without any problems (at least I noticed nothing out of the ordinary).

Bad news is, I had to re-install windows 10 and then the Dropbox installer suddenly worked. I assume that the first time I tried to install Dropbox it crashed and left the system in such a state that subsequent installations would crash silently too. At any rate, Dropbox devs should look into their installer.

Scott S.79
New member | Level 1

I was having the same problem with Windows 10.  Basically it worked fine with Windows 8, I upgraded to Windows 10 and the icon wasn't there and the install program wouldn't work.  I tried uninstalling, re-installing and the install would just stop mid-install with no errors, warnings or anything else.  There was no log file and nothing in the event viewer to help diagnose the issue.

I was about ready to give up but decided to run CCleaner and have it clean up all the files and registry information on my PC.  

I saw that it deleted a bunch of Dropbox registry information that shouldn't have been there since it was uninstalled at that point....  Next I think I rebooted my PC (not 100% sure I rebooted, but it would probably be a good idea) and tried to install Dropbox again.  This time it worked perfectly and is still working perfectly!  

I LOVE Dropbox and was going to be really sad to switch to box since box did work without any problems on Windows 10.

Hopefully other people can have the same luck! 🙂

Andreas W.14
New member | Level 1

Exactly the same Problem here !

I had 3 Windows 10 installations with the same silent dying. No login prompt, no taskbar icon nothing... only some (at least one) Dropbox process visible at the task manager.

But - this is the behaviour with a domain account logged in. If I login with a local administration account (the one I used for setting up the system), then dropbox works flawlessy. But that's no solution 😞

Harry B.14
New member | Level 1

Thanks to Scot S.  I tried out your solution and it worked wonderfully!!https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204966715-Installation-fails-silently-on-windo... 

Andreas W.14
New member | Level 1

Sorry, have a Dell Venue Pro 7140 Tablet Windows 10 as a domain member, and only the local admin can start a login the dropbox client 😞
Other users only see a dropbox process hanging around - no taskbar icon, lo login at all.

Chad D.9
New member | Level 1

Yikes!  I have the same problem silent failure on install and unable to uninstall.  I have used DB on my windows 7 machine for a few years as a domain user(administrator) without problem.  So I really HOPE that this is not "functioning as designed." 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Astra W. New member | Level 1
    Evgeniy L. New member | Level 1
    Scott S.79 New member | Level 1
    Erik D.2 New member | Level 1
    Chad D.9 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?