cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation issue on Windows Server 2008 R2

Installation issue on Windows Server 2008 R2

alexandre l.
New member | Level 1

I use dropbox on different computers and it works fine (ver 2.10.52). I want to install dropbox on a new VPS Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Service Pack1 (As Administrator) and download dropbox installer from www.dropbox.com/downlaoding. I launch and unpack well. After that I get a windows - dropbox setup - Dropbox could't be installed, would you like to try a different dropbox installer ?
I answer yes and have a question to download Dropbox 3.0.3.exe. I download and run as Administrator Dropbox 3.0.3.exe. Unpacking, Initialising and welcome to Dropbox Setup. I click on Install button. Installing... and after Instalation aborted - Dropbox wasn't successfully set up -.

I really need dropbox on this new machine. It would be nice to help me. Thks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Installation issue

Chris_J
Super User

I recommend opening up an Support Ticket
https://www.dropbox.com/support

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Chris_J
Super User

You said:

download dropbox installer from www.dropbox.com/downlaoding

you mean from https://www.dropbox.com/install ??

Try downloading again and reboot computer and try again

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

alexandre l.
New member | Level 1

after https://www.dropbox.com/install you have the link www.dropbox.com/downloading which download the installer.
Whatever, I reboot the server, download again and I still have the same error message.

tara m.
New member | Level 1

I have the absolute exact same issue with my PC. I have tried all the usual fixes, updating the service pack, turning all security off, rebooting, reinstalling, trying to download from a different site - all leads to the same result!

please someone help!!

Chris_J
Super User

I recommend opening up an Support Ticket
https://www.dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

tara m.
New member | Level 1

ok thanks You 🙂

tara m.
New member | Level 1

I GOT IT!!!! feeling rather smug as been battling this for DAYS now!!

if you download an old version from here:

http://www.oldapps.com/dropbox.php

it will start the download process but then tell you this version is out of date - if you then select the most recent version from their list to download it asks you to sign in and viola! all installed working and running

😄

Chris_J
Super User

Wow thanks for sharing this solution. Have a good day

alexandre l.
New member | Level 1

Tara, you are good !

Even if I downloaded from my previous installation the 2.10.52 coming from my other PCs, your link download the same version but doesn't answer at the end to go to www.dropbox.com/downloading.
Congratulation !)
it works well now for my VPS Windows Server 2008. I am happy and have to work now for my next installation step.

ie: I sent the same request to dropbox without any answer. I understand the difficulties to launch a new version but dropbox like other software editors should imagine "Plan B", "What to do if not working" to their fan clients)

Jonathan R.1
New member | Level 1

Thanks Tara but didnt work for me I'm afraid no matter which previous version I try 😞

What's odd is I have 3 machines running XP & they all updated automatically to version 3.0.5 and are working fine. It's just this one machine it wont install/update on.

Come on Dropbox team....the least you can do is change the installer so it at least tells us WHY the install has failed

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mart V. New member | Level 1
    Ed Dropboxer
    Administra N. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?