cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation (or something) Total Confusion

Installation (or something) Total Confusion

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

I have been using Dropbox for years, but in a very simple fashion where I owned a folder tree shared with 2 friends (also Dropbox users). My usage was limited to just sharing a few audio/video files and the occasional file transfer between devices in my home. 95% of my usage is between my Dell XPS Windows 10 laptop and my Dropbox cloud account.

I needed a couple more devices and a bit more space, so I upgraded to 2000GB yesterday. Way more than I needed but it would be nice to mirror my Acronis backup files (currently saved to an SD card permanently inserted in my laptop) to the Dropbox cloud. I assumed that this would be easy with Dropbox although all the words that I read confused me as to when the files lived in your primary device (IN THE LOCATION I WANT IT TO BE IN) vs. in the Dropbox folder in your device vs. the Dropbox cloud. I assumed I could figure this out. 

I was playing little attention here because I expected this to be trivial.  I ended up installing (I assume) the Dropbox app on my laptop (I guess I had one before - not really sure but something had to run on my laptop before)  and I got to a place where sync files options appeared and I got (I think - was not paying that much attention, sorry) a short list of folders (Documents, etc). I had no interest at all in those folders but I clicked the Setup option (don't recall anything else besides skip it) expecting more dialog boxes allowing my to pick and choose. Instead something started to run and icons on my very complicated desktop started to disappear at 1-2 second intervals!!! 

Let's just say that I found that VERY disturbing. So I canceled out of that as quick as I could but the process continued. So I found the process(es) in Task Manager and ended those and at least the icons quit disappearing and a few minutes later my desktop had been COMPLETELY scrambled (nothing was where it used to be). I don't think anything was gone and there was the beginnings of a backup folder (of some set of folders of no interest to me WRT Dropbox). 

I had a problem where Dropbox processes would reappear so I ended up uninstalling the Dropbox app on Windows. I reinstalled that and pretty much avoided any option that did anything (until I could better understand just what the heck is going on here - this was pretty disturbing behavior). One of the things that I chose was 'local only' as that seemed safest for now. 

So at this point I have a Dropbox app installed on my laptop. When I run it NOTHING happens except that a Dropbox executable starts to eat roughly half of all 8 of the CPU's in the processor in my laptop (no exaggeration, BTW) . It does not show up as an app in Task Manager but it pretty much brings my laptop to its knees and the only way to recover is to kill the Dropbox process(es) from Task Manager. 

All I wanted to do  was to keep sharing files just like before and periodically (or constantly) mirror the two backup target folders that are the Acronis backup destination folders to the Dropbox cloud. Right now I pretty cannot do anything as (I assume because of my local only selection) files that I save to my local Dropbox folder are not uploaded to my Cloud Dropbox account (the Cloud knows the new files exist but cannot see the content). But I cannot get a Dropbox app to run to let me change this behavior and I don't see it from the web either. 

So do I uninstall the app again and install it again? Are there other factors here that I am not aware of (that matter)? Something is obviously wrong (and maybe it is my understanding/expectations) and I am reluctant to just 'try it again'.  Pretty awkward way to just change a setting (like local only). 

What I would like to do is to sync two (large) folders (they live on my E: drive-SD card) to the Dropbox Cloud but not have them take up space in my local Dropbox folder. Can I do this (assuming that I can get to the point that I can do anything). And of course the casual file sharing is also required. 

Thanks for any guidance or insight that you can offer. 

dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Installation (or something) Total Confusion

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

@Daphne thanks for the response. 

This is the situation WRT my desktop.

1) My Desktop (now that I unscrambled it) seems to be back to normal (when I view it and look at the content from the Desktop as it appears on the screen)

2) The location of the Desktop (per properties) is C:Users/Dave (I would expect that) 

3) The location of files the live on my desktop are located at C:\Users\Dave\Dropbox\My PC (Dave-PC)\Desktop

4) When I look at the desktop C:\Users\Desktop from the command line it is mostly empty (my Desktop is pretty full and busy). So despite the appearance of 'The Desktop' (as defined by c:\Users\Dave), it is mostly somewhere else (hopefully all of it is one place or the other).  

I NEVER thought in a million years when I started setting up a POSSIBLE (I was hardly committed to this - just exploring options) sync/backup, that this process would literally MOVE files. 

WRT support we are trying to get the DB Desktop app to open such that I can turn off backup/sync. I cannot get there. When I start the DB app a process called "Welcome to Dropbox" is running and moving TONS of data. And I have no idea what the heck it is doing at this point. So I kill that process (and whether the process is running or not, I cannot get a DB app UI). It appears to me that DB needs to 'finish something' before I get my UI - just a guess. 

The problems outside of DB might well be simply "where is the data" (normal location vs. Dropbox location). But this has kind of wrecked havoc on the use of my system. FWIW, I had been considering replacing my laptop as it is aging and I am having occasional USB issues that are probably hardware). This is probably the last straw and I plan to place an order later this week. In that case I will do all that I can to be sure that nothing else changes until my new system is up and running. But that is not where I am at the moment. 

Thanks again for the input. 

dave

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

Out of the blue today (laptop sitting idle for hours), I got an assault by Dropbox where every few seconds I got a Notification that 90 (or whatever) files had been either synced or transferred. And CPU time went through the roof (until I killed all the Dropbox processes I could find and then uninstalled - again - Dropbox).  

Then I discovered that a commonly used app would no longer run (it ran just hours before the Dropbox event being discussed). When I tried to reinstall it the app mysteriously changed the default data destination to a 'mirror' Dropbox folder. 

So I tried to do a System Restore back to a Restore Point prior to these Dropbox changes. It failed and (surprise/surprise) the issue was some kind of Dropbox folder conflict. 

Obviously it is time for the formal support channel. 

dave

Dropbox Will Not Go Away

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

I have run into some serious issues where I had upgraded from free to 2TB and wanted some way to mirror/sync/backup my locally stored data backup files (Acronis) to the cloud.  I was not sure if I wanted to do a sync or a backup (in DB terminology) and started down one of those paths simply to explore options. I think it was the sync path but whatever it was I was expecting more dialog boxes and instead DB started 'doing stuff'. One of things it started doing was deleting icons from my desktop at about the rate of 1 per second. I found the HUGELY disturbing, BTW. 

I cancelled out of that (which did not seem to stop the process) so I killed every DB process I could find on Task Manager. 

I now have apps that don't work due to DB conflicts, System Restore won't work (DB conflicts), my Acronis backup schema's no longer works, etc. As far as I can tell I have NO DB apps installed at this point and no DB processes running (that I can determine just going by name in Task Manager). Yet files are still being mirrored between some files that live 'where I want them to live' and in a mirror folder in my DB folder. 

I want all this to GO AWAY so I can get back to a system that I find predictable. Then I can make some decisions (like do I dare reinstall DBox). So I have 2 questions. 

1) Are there one or two DB apps that would typically run on your Windows desktop? 

2) How do I make DB complete go away and quit duplicating files between some of my data folders and my DB folder. At this point I do not have a DB app to run (AFAIK). 

Thanks.

dave

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @DaveLeeNC, I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with this!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature to sync some of your computer folders there.

In this case, usually we would go through the desktop app preferences to disable this feature and return the files to how they would be normally.

Would you be able to install the app again, and once the app starts to sync simply pause syncing, so that you can access the settings of the app to disable the backup with the steps at the bottom of this page?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

@Daphne Thanks for the response. Your suggestion is exactly the response that I got from the Support folks. I am following those suggestions now and will post the results once this is finished and I am confident of what has actually happened here. 

dave

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update @DaveLeeNC!

I'll be just a post away once you've had the chance to check this out.

Hope you have a great rest of your day Dave!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

@Daphne THis is what I just sent to Support. And thanks for your interest/help. 

dave

Spencer, I have gone as far as I can go to reinstall the DB desktop app. I got to the point where I selected 'Online Only' (first dialog box). Then there was a second dialog box where I hit 'Next' and nothing happened except CPU utilization went through the roof.

After 15 minutes or so I tried to start the DB app and all that happens is that my DB folder opens in File Explorer. I waited another 10 or 15 minutes and CPU utilization continued high (enough to make use of my Laptop - Dell XPS - difficult). In Task Manager there was a 'Welcome to Dropbox' process running and Dropbox services running. I have killed those processes because I am uncomfortable with what they might be doing and it really does make my laptop tough to use.

I previously ran into this exact scenario (DB app has been uninstalled/installed a couple times now).

Do you have next step suggestions? Restarting the DB app generates a DB Services process but nothing else (other than opening my DB Folder if it is not already open). It the answer is to uninstall/reinstall yet again and 'let it run for a couple hours', I would like to understand just exactly what it might be doing before I take that step.

Thank you.

dave

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

For completeness here is some additional information. It seems that DBox services run pretty much no matter what I do, and they are generating disk activity at non-trivial rate and I certainly DO NOT want any more to happen to my system at this point. The only way to stop this is to uninstall DBox which I have done. 

And now I find that I cannot run Acronis without reinstalling or 'repairing'. I have been a daily Acronis user since 2010 and have never run into this before. I suspect that whatever disk activity I was seeing has now affected Acronis, just like it did WKO. 

I will wait and see, but I believe that I am going to be forced through the painful process of reinstalling my system from scratch. I do have a 2 week old 'disk image' that might be a lower effort solution (it was generated prior to these issues). 

dave

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update here @DaveLeeNC.

So from what you've mentioned, it sounds like you didn't have the chance to go through with the steps to disable the backup through the app settings, right?

In this case, before going through the hassle of restoring or resetting your system, I'd suggest having a quick look at the backed up folders to see if their current path shows it being within Dropbox.

For example, to check the Desktop, navigate to the Desktop in your File Explorer, right click Desktop and choose "Properties". From there you can check the Location tab for the folder path.

If you do see Dropbox within the folder path, you can manually reset this back to the default with these steps.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

@Daphne thanks for the response. 

This is the situation WRT my desktop.

1) My Desktop (now that I unscrambled it) seems to be back to normal (when I view it and look at the content from the Desktop as it appears on the screen)

2) The location of the Desktop (per properties) is C:Users/Dave (I would expect that) 

3) The location of files the live on my desktop are located at C:\Users\Dave\Dropbox\My PC (Dave-PC)\Desktop

4) When I look at the desktop C:\Users\Desktop from the command line it is mostly empty (my Desktop is pretty full and busy). So despite the appearance of 'The Desktop' (as defined by c:\Users\Dave), it is mostly somewhere else (hopefully all of it is one place or the other).  

I NEVER thought in a million years when I started setting up a POSSIBLE (I was hardly committed to this - just exploring options) sync/backup, that this process would literally MOVE files. 

WRT support we are trying to get the DB Desktop app to open such that I can turn off backup/sync. I cannot get there. When I start the DB app a process called "Welcome to Dropbox" is running and moving TONS of data. And I have no idea what the heck it is doing at this point. So I kill that process (and whether the process is running or not, I cannot get a DB app UI). It appears to me that DB needs to 'finish something' before I get my UI - just a guess. 

The problems outside of DB might well be simply "where is the data" (normal location vs. Dropbox location). But this has kind of wrecked havoc on the use of my system. FWIW, I had been considering replacing my laptop as it is aging and I am having occasional USB issues that are probably hardware). This is probably the last straw and I plan to place an order later this week. In that case I will do all that I can to be sure that nothing else changes until my new system is up and running. But that is not where I am at the moment. 

Thanks again for the input. 

dave

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DaveLeeNC Helpful | Level 7
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?