Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Installed v90.4.307 on 2 computers only one has the Desktop app

Explorer | Level 4

The installation that didn't install the desktop app (I'll call this computer NoDA) is the one I prefer because it syncs without having to run a desktop app, whereas I have to run the Desktop app on the other computer (YesDA) to get it to sync. Has anyone run into something like this? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the same thing happens. Why is the same download installing different things on 2 computers with the same build of Windows 10? And why is one able to sync without having or running a desktop app?

Dropbox preferences shows the same identical Dropbox version (v90.4.307) for both computers. The Preferences' General tab is identical for both with the 2 exceptions that are appropriate as to whether the desktop app was installed. (1) YesDA has 2 fields in the System section, 'Start Dropbox on system startup' and 'Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox', whereas NoDA only has the first field. (2) At the bottom NoDA has 2 links, 'Learn about open source software' and 'Try the new Dropbox desktop app', whereas YesDA only has the first link.

I have 'Start Dropbox on system startup' checked on both, and on NoDA everything syncs automatically, but on YesDA I have to either also check 'Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox' or manually start the desktop app to get it to sync.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Installed v90.4.307 on 2 computers only one has the Desktop app

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again @jk23!

So it seems that you opted in to try the new desktop app interface, however this should be on a per account basis rather than device specific, and doesn't depend on the version of the app installed.

As you mentioned, on one desktop, in the "General" tab of the desktop app preferences you can see an option "Try the new Dropbox desktop app".

Are you signed into the same Dropbox account on both devices? You can check this by the email linked to the desktop app on each device.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @jk23, I hope you're having a good day so far!

The desktop app needs to be running on your device for it to be able to sync your files. You'll see the Dropbox icon in your system tray near the clock display.

However, it sounds like you have the new desktop app interface installed on one computer (YesDA) and not the other (NoDA). 

With either, there will always be a Dropbox icon in your system tray to show that the desktop app is running and syncing your files.

You can check out more info about the desktop app here.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Daphne, thanks for your thoughts. Both computers have the same version downloaded and installed at the same time, then uninstalled and reinstalled again at the same time. Both show the installed software as the same exact version, but they aren't the same.  According to https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/download-dropbox, the download installs 3 components, "Dropbox desktop app, dropbox icon in your system try/menu bar, and a Dropbox folder." On NoDA it only installed the last 2 components and it functions without issue, in fact, I like it better. I'd like to figure out what triggered the difference in the install and functionality on the 2 computers. I read your suggested link, but it shed no light on this.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @jk23!

The Dropbox app interface is a new addition to the desktop app. Apologies as I forgot to mention how to disable this in my first reply!

From within the desktop app preferences, you can choose to open folders within your File Explorer by default instead of the new desktop app interface with these steps.

Also, you'll need to uncheck the option in the General tab of the preferences "Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox".

This will allow the desktop app to run on your computer without having the new Dropbox interface open when you access the Dropbox folder and its files.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Dahpne,

Thank you for the link and your instructions, but it didn't work as expected. I made sure the following was set in the General tab of Dropbox Preferences:

System section: Start Dropbox on system startup - checked; Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox - not checked.

Open folders in : File Explorer

I applied the settings and rebooted. When it came back up. Dropbox was NOT in the sysTray/Notification area (so it hadn't started). Still, I tested by puttine a new doc in my Dropbox folder in file explorer. I then went to the Dropbox website, logged into my account, but the test doc wasn't there. I waited a few minutes, then started up the Desktop app, and bingo, the test document immediately showed up on the website. Disabling "open desktop app when starting Dropbox" is NOT a solution. I will have to enable it.

Again, my question is why is the same version of Dropbox installing differently (one with Desktop app and one without) on 2 computers, when those installs are done on the same date. They function completely differently, I can't get YesDA to sync WITHOUT having the desktop app running.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again @jk23!

So it seems that you opted in to try the new desktop app interface, however this should be on a per account basis rather than device specific, and doesn't depend on the version of the app installed.

As you mentioned, on one desktop, in the "General" tab of the desktop app preferences you can see an option "Try the new Dropbox desktop app".

Are you signed into the same Dropbox account on both devices? You can check this by the email linked to the desktop app on each device.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Daphne,

That's it! Thank you - it now makes sense. I forgot about the accounts. There ARE 2 accounts, which are linked. I must have Ok'd trying the Desktop app on one of them. Is there a way to remove that? I looked in the account settings, but can't find it.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad we got to the bottom of that part @jk23!

At the moment I'm afraid there isn't a way to revert back after opting in to the new desktop app experience.

However, you should be able to disable it with the steps I mentioned before with the settings within the preferences.

Since the app didn't launch when you rebooted your device to just sync your files, I'd like to have a look into this further with you. Can I reach out to you via the email linked with your profile here?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Daphne,

Yes, please contact me by email.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I've reached out to your email @jk23, please just check your inbox when you have the time and we'll go from there.

Cheers!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?