cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing dropbox on new computer - can't access my old email to retain password

Installing dropbox on new computer - can't access my old email to retain password

Par Hagstrom
New member | Level 2

Hey!

So my old macbook is dead. Got me a new one.
When installing dropbox it occured to me that I had been logged in with my old email adress the last 5 years or so. This email no longer exits. When trying to get access user and password information goes to this email account that doesn't exist and I obviously can't access. Help! I've got really impoortant files stored onto my dropbox.

Thanks,

'Pär

3 Replies 3

Re: Installing dropbox on new computer - can't access my old email to retain password

Rich
Super User II

@Par Hagstrom wrote:

When trying to get access user and password information goes to this email account that doesn't exist and I obviously can't access.

You'll need access to the email address associated with your Dropbox in order to gain access to the account. Reset information can only be sent to the email address listed in your account. Perhaps you can recreate the email address, or contact the service provider and ask them to either recreate it, or possibly forward you any reset information that's sent to it.

Re: Installing dropbox on new computer - can't access my old email to retain password

Par Hagstrom
New member | Level 2
Hey! Thanks so much for this reply!
Yes, this seems to be exactly the problem. Even bigger problem though is that the email associated with my drop box account is on a domain that I don’t own anymore. When trying to re-purchase it it is taken and owned by some Japanese data company 🙈
Won’t work. There must be some way for the Drop box team to manually verify me as the right user on phone, right? I can tell them what files and folders there are and so on. Things that noone but me could know about. Possible?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Par Hagstrom, thanks for reaching out to us. 

You can try following the steps to regaining Dropbox account access via another linked device from the article that Rich mentioned above. 

You can also contact our team from this link, using an incognito window, but if you've lost access to the email address and don't know the password, I'm afraid our team can't do much to further assist for security reasons. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?