Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Installing the desktop app on removable media. Solution

Helpful | Level 5

I installed an sd 1TB card in my surface pro. It is basically there forever. Not meant as removeable. It's to extend the drive space.

Dropbox won't allow me to choose this location since it's removeable. Solution in next message

Thanks,

Hal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I'm having troubles installing the desktop app on removable media. Any ideas?

Helpful | Level 5

I found a work around which works perfectly!

this is information I found online:

.....Finally, the /J option will create a hard link to a folder. This is also called a directory junction (a.k.a. junction point) and instead of working like a shortcut to a folder, a hard link works more like a regular folder. For example, the command:

mklink /J c:\fruit c:\apples\bananas\oranges
will make the operating system work with the long directory structure c:\apples\bananas\oranges just as if it were a single directory named c:\fruit.

If you have been following along and creating any of these types of symbolic links, you can terminate the link simply by deleting it. For instance, to terminate the fruit hard link, you'd simply delete the c:\fruit folder. However, since the link is terminated first and c:\fruit folder is actually empty, you needn't be concerned about data loss in the c:\apples\bananas\oranges folder.

so. 

1. I created a new dropbox file in the same folder as the original on the C drive ( C:\user name\dropbox1

2. I inserted the formatted microSD card into the PC, labelled as D:

3. I I opened an admin command prompt and typed: mklink /j  c:\users\Hal\dropbox1 D:\dropbox

4. I opened dropbox (right click on icon) and went to preferences, sync

5. I went to dropbox folder location and clicked move and chose dropbox1

6. Rebooted and put data into D:\

7. Dropbox worked perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Hal

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: CAN'T INSTALL DROPBOX TO REMOVABLE MEDIA

Super User II
Super User II

Dropbox doesn't support removable media, so you'll need to find a way to make the SD card appear as a regular drive. It's possible, and has been discussed in the forums before. Try searching and you'll likely find a few threads that cover it.

Highlighted

Re: I'm having troubles installing the desktop app on removable media. Any ideas?

Helpful | Level 5

I found a work around which works perfectly!

this is information I found online:

.....Finally, the /J option will create a hard link to a folder. This is also called a directory junction (a.k.a. junction point) and instead of working like a shortcut to a folder, a hard link works more like a regular folder. For example, the command:

mklink /J c:\fruit c:\apples\bananas\oranges
will make the operating system work with the long directory structure c:\apples\bananas\oranges just as if it were a single directory named c:\fruit.

If you have been following along and creating any of these types of symbolic links, you can terminate the link simply by deleting it. For instance, to terminate the fruit hard link, you'd simply delete the c:\fruit folder. However, since the link is terminated first and c:\fruit folder is actually empty, you needn't be concerned about data loss in the c:\apples\bananas\oranges folder.

so. 

1. I created a new dropbox file in the same folder as the original on the C drive ( C:\user name\dropbox1

2. I inserted the formatted microSD card into the PC, labelled as D:

3. I I opened an admin command prompt and typed: mklink /j  c:\users\Hal\dropbox1 D:\dropbox

4. I opened dropbox (right click on icon) and went to preferences, sync

5. I went to dropbox folder location and clicked move and chose dropbox1

6. Rebooted and put data into D:\

7. Dropbox worked perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Hal

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?