cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File view/pane size (ipad)

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

114 Replies 114

Michael T.62
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've been a big fan of Dropbox for years, using it on laptops, desktop, and mobile, and promoting it every chance I get. But having gotten it set up on a new iPad and finding this issue, and seeing that Dropbox have zero interest in fixing it given they were made aware of the problem over a year ago, I have no choice but to switch to some other product, which means having to switch all my devices. What a disappointment and waste of my time

Ian K.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have found a work around to this problem. I use the Documents app by Readdle to access my Dropbox. However, it would be great if Dropbox did not have to rely on third party vendors to fix this problem

John H.150
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ian.........that's just crazy that a 3rd. party app. can make Dropbox shine, but Dropbox won't take the initiative on their own to make this easy fix.

I downloaded the Readdle documents app.  Its pretty slick.

Richard-Judith
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ian K: Thank you thank you thank you!

I too downloaded Documents 5 by Readdle, and it nicely fixes a HUGE gripe with DrobBox on the iPad.

https://readdle.com/products/documents

In the iTunes store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-5-file-system-pdf/id364901807 

Debashish D.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We have started using Dropbox business ..but this problem annoying everyone. Dropbox team please look into it.

Kevin W.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Guys
I am really frustrated with the ipad version of dropbox. On the iphone version, in landscape view the file view expands giving filenames greater space, but on the ipad version you have restricted the width of the file view pane. Please can you add a small button or option under the menu (upload, create folder etc) that expands the file view pane to the full width of the screen. This would greatly improve the workflow when using dropbox on the ipad.

Many thanks

Kevin

heikkipekka
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This. It must have been other's frustation as well to not be able to browse files on folders using FULL SCREEN on iPad. Why oh why it's restricted to a narrow column on left I can't understand.

There should be a way to browse the files on a grid, as well.

grahampc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can't believe this is still an issue -- it's so easy to fix. Fix it please! It's a major frustration.

Bennett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Really not even half a solution for me. 

HB6453
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just got done with a back and forth with Dropbox Support. I too am frustrated at this feature, or lack thereof. I have been an iPhone user since inception. I'm a contractor and LIVE on Dropbox in the field. I got a new iPhone 7Plus just so I could have more screen space in the field. Came to the brilliant conclusion that an iPad would be the best solution since it is so much larger than the iPhone. Have had my new iPad Pro 9.7 for two weeks now. It has been rendered utterly USELESS due to the inability to turn off, or even adjust, the preview pane so I can see more of the file names. My file names can get large due to job names and such, so the list of files all appear the same (ie. Johnson Plans ARCH.....here is where it gets specific). Dropbox's solution to this was the nifty little drop arrow to the right of the file name. That's a great feature if you only have 2 or 3 files to choose between. I might have 100 files that appear similar, so I MUST be able to see the entire file name. There is no other option. Therefore, not being able to turn off, or reduce, the preview pane makes the iPad version of Dropbox as useful as using a nail file to cut a 2x12.....

Note to Dropbox....Please show me how that drop arrow is an efficient way to find a file amongst 100 or so files? PLEASE don't make me switch to Box. I have too much invested in Dropbox.

Need more support?