cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

114 Replies 114

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Google Drive worked fine from a sync point of view - not quite as fast as Dropbox, which really can't be beaten by any of the other services I've tried in terms of sync speed and reliability. 

As I wrote in my earier post, however, it no longer solves the long filenames issue as they "improved it out" of their app (unless of course they've changed it back over the last couple of months

v3locim
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I would suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program.

abar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why has this not been addressed yet?  I found many threads going back years complaining about being able to read long file names in the ipad app.  

Our organizational system / business requires long-ish file names most of which start and end the same way on any given project.  

There really should be a way to view the whole file name.  Maybe add an option to close the preview pane?

Grant C.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Total frustration at the time Dropbox has taken to fix the ridiculously short file names that show in IOS - iPad.

This is such an obvious and painful fact when you have more than a few files which have similar files with show shortened to the point of mostly unusable.

Searching in community a comment was posted in 2015 and a response was it would be sorted soon!

Recently cancelled my paid Dropbox account and switched to OneDrive which finally added offline folders in IOS a little slower than Dropbox and has a slightly longer truncated file name view.

I still think Dropbox is a superior product but when it comes to doing the right thing displaying filenames Dropbox rates and F!

Maybe it will all be fixed in IOS 11 with the coming file system but the glacial improvement of key features like ridiculously short file names in IOS must surely mean Dropbox is doomed against a nowdays faster learning Microsoft.

Elucubrator
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm constantly frustrated by the DropBox iOS app (and many other apps too, for that matter) because the file-name column on the left is not adjustable and hides long file names.

Even on an iPad Pro 12.9" screen, I can't see which specific file I'm after. I have thousands of files that are named using a date-name convention, and sometimes I'll have a great many files on one day. This screenshot is an example of what I mean. Can DropBox introduce adjustable columns, or at least offer several different options such as left-third, centre, and right-third?

IMG_0549.JPG 

Bit
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Now they added a "view by content" on the left menu... they could add a "view by long filename" to let the app extend the filename column all over the space on the right. Then, when one clicks on the file, it could go back to the left as it is showing the file on the right. They reached the moon, seems ridicoulus they can't simply turn a bolt. I'll never understand, seems they don't use the app by themselves ?

mindat
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Has this feature been discontinued? The list of files remain truncated and clicking the right hand menus only sort, they do not reveal the full names unless it gives you the download the file screen. When there are 376 sequentially named jpgs, this is more than cumbersome. I am using a desktop computer.

KeithPublic
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is it possible that this still has not been resolved? The feature has been asked for over the course of years from what I've seen (at least since 2015).

Dropbox is literally unusable on my iPad because we use long file names to keep track of progress on projects. All I need to be able to do is adjust the width of the left column so I can see the entire file and folder name.

This one simple feature is the only reason I have to still use my computer at work instead of my iPad.

HB6453
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

KeithPublic, you are correct. They have not addressed it. The short answer is they don't care. Most users use a computer. My guess is there is not enough benefit to spend the resources on this change. Odd considering they have 100s of millions in investor funds. Would seem like a several hundred to several thousand dollar feature to add. This is sad really. I've changed to several other data storage services SPECIFICALLY due to this issue. My ipad sat in my desk drawer for over 6 months before I decided to switch services. If they add this feature I'll come back, but DB is just a backup hard drive for me now. 

rmoe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There is a work-around in iOS 11.

Open DropBox.

Slide up to see dock.  Pick any program on the dock and slide up to create a separate window and then enlarge that window to half screen.

Now you can see the whole file names.

Messy, but it works.

Need more support?