cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

114 Replies 114

Connie M.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Still waiting - engineers have been working on this for three years. I don’t know what the limitations of programming in iOS are... but...

De-Tech
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Congrats, Dropbox CEOs. Your inedeqaucies affect thousands of your customers and you give not one flying fig. Well done, I applaud your invincible nature, where your customers tirelessly ask you to make your service useable and you completely ignore them or even worse, blatantly and incessantly lie to their faces. 

Your bare faced cheek of taking monies from customers whilst deliberately short changing them by the glaring inadequacies of your service are to be admired. Only a truly laudable set of Top management types would have the audacity to behave in such disgraceful manner while taking money hand over fist.

Its not rocket science! It’s a matter of trust, which clearly you are not able to fulfill. If there were other options, no doubt we should all take them.

Im sorry if you think im being harsh, im just as sorry as you are for not being able to provide full file names whilst using your service. 

Elucubrator
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well, bugger me, Dropbox has finally fixed this with the latest update. I thought to re-check this today after the latest change, and straight away could see the filenames are displayed differently. The font is smaller, and the filename is truncated in the middle, so I can read the start of the file name, but also the end which is (with my file-naming convention), typically the differentiator. But the kicker is what happens with the display pane. It is now possible to close that — there’s a small “x” in the top left corner of the display/preview pane — and once that closes, the left pane with the file names expands to full screen view! And voila! I can now see the full long file names. Dropbox: THAT is the way to take advantage of the larger screen on an iPad, especially the 12.9” model. I’m still annoyed it took so long to remedy, but thank you for finally doing it.

MrMXF
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Holy Guacamole - it actually works. No more random previewing! Thank you dropbox for the fix. Pity I have changed jobs in the meantime, but at least it works now!

Bruce

Justin R.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I came to comment and let everyone know it was fixed, too bad we switched to box over a year ago becasue of this issue. Too little, way too late, Dropbox. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?